Concrete Roof Failure

Old 08-09-13, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Roof Failure

We have a home built in 1988 with a concrete tile roof in Sedona, Az. In January of this year a roofing company responded to a roof leak. As part of the contract we asked them to do a thorough roof inspection to identify any additional issues. They found none.

This week, less than 8 months later, another leak in a different part of the roof failed and they want another $1400 to fix that. I questioned whether their "inspection" should at least cover a year and here is their reply:

"Water has been known to travel 30 ft. from it's origin to the noticeable area of damage; thus, a visual inspection and subsequent repair of questionable areas is not, by any means, a warranty that the leak has been fixed. The age and condition of the roof must be taken into consideration, as well. It is due to the preceding conditions that REPAIRS ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO STOP LEAKS."

The owner of the company also said that while concrete tile is gauranteed for 50 years, the under layment usually fails in about 12 years and that his visual inspection provided any additional warranty.

This seems like BS to me. How's it sound to you?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-13, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
Water can travel quite a long distance from it's point of entry which can make finding it's source very difficult sometimes so that part is not BS. You did not say what underlayment you have but I suppose your sun & intense heat could break down the adhesives in plywood or OSB, or moisture could condense causing rot so there could be some merit to his statement that the underlayment often goes before the tiles.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a warranty as a result of an inspection unless a warranty was expressly provided and documented in writing. It's sort of like having a mechanic look over a used car. Would you expect their inspection to carry a warranty?