Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Does this look like it was properly done? (Repair to shed roof)

Old 08-15-13, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hired a company to fix a hole in our shed roof. A tree branch punched a 3- or 4-inch hole in the roof. They came, gave us an estimate, and arrived the other day to fix it. We weren't home at the time.

On the outside, the shingles look fine. On the inside, this is how it looks:

In a handful of spots, there are strips of plywood an inch or two deep that don't go from rafter to rafter; there is a seam along the length somewhere, and in more than one place you can push the plywood and move it. On the patch (the largest white piece), there is a gap you can stick your finger through and touch the underside of the shingles.

And the nails used to attach the shingle stick out at least half an inch on the inside.

Am I being too picky? Does this look like a competent repair?

Thanks, y'all.

Attached Images       
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-13, 05:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's really the outside that counts. If you push on it from the outside, does it feel strong? The nails don't mean anything.

Old 09-04-13, 02:19 PM
A whole lot of people would be seriously, and reasonably, disappointed with the repair job that I see.
Unless they knew at the time of receiving the estimate that scrap lumber would be used for the repair instead of new materials.
The first question that I would ask is.
When you received the estimate, was it in writing that described what the company intended to do to accomplish the repairs?
If it wasn't in writing, did the person giving the estimate specify that scrap lumber might be used to accomplish the repairs?
Did he give you any reason to expect that anything other than new lumber would be used?

Before my heart made me quit doing strenuous jobs, I ran a handy-man/home repair business for just under 12 years using over 40 years of experience in construction. And I would literally do anything that I thought I might be able to do that someone was willing to pay me to do, with appropriate warnings in advance of my degree of knowledge and experience in the specific area.
When I gave written estimates, I generally gave relatively thorough descriptions of what I intended to do and what materials I planned to use to accomplish the job.
Verbal estimates did not always include all the same stuff as a written one, but I would only use scrap lumber with the home owners specific knowledge and prior approval.
One major issue that arises here is did that company give you an estimate that involved purchase of new materials, then pocket the money intended for materials and just use whatever piece of scrap lumber they might have lying around in their truck?

You have what I call a band aide job, which I have done before, but never without the home owner being fully aware that scrap materials might be used.
And as a rule I would not perform a band aide job unless the home owner specifically indicated that he or she wanted to reduce the cost by using scrap materials.
Even then I would have tried to make certain that the patch was anchored to a rafter on each end of the repair board, and preferably to at least three rafters.

Personally I think that you wound up being somewhat abused by a slightly less than reputable company who was only out to make a quick buck with as little cost to them as possible.
But we all know how opinions are.

I seriously doubt that there is enough money involved to warrant pursuing any kind of legal claim, which you "might" have.
If you have a written and signed estimate that specifies both the materials to be used and the quality of workmanship.
And tell everybody you know that the company who did that job is not a reputable company.
Because they aren't, if they did not let you know ahead of time that scrap materials would be used on the job.

I somewhat agree with Pulpo.
If there aren't any "soft spots" that feel spongy when you put weight at different points along the repair, then it probably isn't worth much more than a phone call to the company with a complaint about the quality and appearance of the work.
Call em.
Tell em that you expected new materials to be used, a better looking job; that you were not informed that scrap lumber would be used when you received the estimate.
Let me get out of here before I write a book about how deceptive "some" seemingly reputable companies turn out to be.

Old 09-04-13, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Any roof repair such as what you had done should have been with compatible material, such as plywood, since you already had plywood, and should have spanned across three ceiling rafters. IMO, a hack job.

Old 09-04-13, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would have canceled the check, reported it to the BBB, board of contractors, anyone that would listen.
Not even close to a proper repair.
Not even sure how they could have driven the nails in as weak as that has to be.