Hole in siding where wall meets roof

Old 08-17-13, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hole in siding where wall meets roof

We're remodeling our living room, and we noticed some water stains on the studs/gypsum board above our sliding patio doors. I just discovered a hole in the siding where it meets an adjoining roof line, above and a little to the side of the patio doors. I'm guessing water has gone in the hole from time to time and that is the cause of the water stains that we saw. I've included a couple of pictures. Looking for recommendations on how to plug this hole.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-13, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
That all should have been flashed prior to installing the vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is on there just for looks, it is not waterproof at all. So at this point, unless you want to tear off a few pieces of siding, your best bet is probably just to shoot it full of sealant.

This bigger issue is probably not the hole so much as it is all the water coming down the roof, hitting any debris that is lodged behind that downspout elbow. My guess is that the roof may not have proper step flashing details or a decent roof/wall flashing at that corner either.

Old 08-18-13, 06:03 AM
What would you recommend if I am willing to tear off some siding? We're adding a window to our living room during this remodel, and I already need to pull of some siding to achieve that, so I may decide to tackle a better fix for this hole as well, depending on what all will be involved.

Old 08-18-13, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
I don't see any housewrap behind the vinyl siding, so that's really not good. If there was housewrap, I would say that you would remove the siding around the bottom of the corner post and around the fascia that butts into the wall. Then use aluminum trim coil or sheet metal to make some flashing (corner flashing at the fascia, roof-wall flashing behind the corner, with good overlapping details (working from the bottom up) and sealant at all the corners. But with no housewrap, any water that leaks in is still going to be behind the siding with no way to get out until it leaks in.

So you'd need to direct any leakage out over the top of the vinyl siding as soon as possible. Usually this is done by laying a wide piece of flashing over the nailing fin of a row of vinyl siding (the first full course below the fascia, for example) and then any water that gets onto your upper corner flashing will drain on top of that, and find its way to the weep holes on the vinyl siding.

The best way to think of it is to imagine that everything you do in the way of flashing needs to be water tight without siding on.

Old 09-04-13, 07:29 PM
I understand that I am weighing in kinda late on this, but.

I am wondering what used to be where the hole is.
It looks like when the vinyl siding was first installed there may have been a two by four nailed to the adjoining wall that the siding people worked the siding around.
Then when the board, or whatever it was, was removed, the hole in the siding was left open.
If you are going to install a new window then I would suggest removing a couple feet of the siding that has the hole in it and taking a piece of the siding that is removed for the window and putting it up in place of the piece with the hole in it.
Course if you've never worked with repairing or replacing siding, it might be a bit much to tackle, but it can be done, even if you have to remove and re-install the pieces of siding above the hole.
Just my suggestion, while not taking into account certain other factors like house wrap.