Add Gable Vents

Old 09-02-13, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add Gable Vents

I recently purchased a two story home with a pitched slate roof.
http://photos2.zillow.com/p_d/ISpps0...0000000000.jpg

There is NO soffit or other ventilation to the attic.

How should I ventilate it? I plan to place a gable vent on one end with a gable fan in the other end, but I have no idea how to size them. I've heard 1 cu ft/min per 150 sqft of roof space, which in my case is ~600 sq ft so 4 cu ft per min. How do I size the passive gable vent? Given that it is a slate roof, I don't plan to poke holes and add roof vents.

All replies appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-13, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
I would say that if each gable vent had an area of 2 sq feet (+/-) you would have it covered.

Old 09-03-13, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Back-up a few pages and read the chapter, esp. pp.605, lol. Audel Complete Building Construction - Mark Richard Miller, Rex Miller, Eugene Leger - Google Books

Before the powered fan: is the attic air-sealed/insulated per location, are you showing signs of excessive moisture on wood framing- mildew/molds, ice dams on gutter/fascia rot? You may not even need added ventilation, explain your reasoning please; http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1999/tenwo99a.pdf
Is there plywood on the roof deck, or just skip sheathing (spaced) boards? Picture would help.....

Gary