Enclose a portion of Dormer creating a soffit?

Old 09-09-13, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Enclose a portion of Dormer creating a soffit?

I have had problems with moss growing under wide overhangs on the side of Dormers. It may be contributing to leaks. The roofing runs up under these overhangs and the space is very narrow and almost impossible to clean the moss or treat for moss.. because there is just no access! The roofing disappears under the fascia.. is this normal?
The Fascia board is only 1"" from the roofing! and I have no access to clean the roofing and water gets back in this crevice. This seems like a poor design.

I am considering to enclose under part of the overhang, to create a soffitt.
(In the "upper" portion of overhang)
I might also cut the overhang back a bit. (The rest of the Craftsman home has large overhangs.
One roofer told me this would limit my ventilation above Dormers, but I forgot to inform him that I am adding a ridge vent.. which should ventilate properly (I will also still have bird block vents in the front half, which I do not enclose.

As far as aesthetics, these dormers up high and on back side of house. I will still run the Fascia all the way back.

I would also extend the flashing out a bit from the new soffits in hopes it will channel more water AWAY from under the overhangs. to reduce moss.Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  49.5 KB

I am also installing a ridge vent on Dormers and peaks with a new roof & using Ice and water shield and heavy felt. (I have also had ventilation moisture problems, which I have addressed)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-13, 04:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is there a usable room where the dormer is? I guess what I am asking is the dormer absolutely necessary. Is it out of the offing to remove the dormers completely, close in the roof decking and re roof? I know it will take away from the craftsman design, but water damage is doing the same with a poor design.

Old 09-09-13, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes this is normal. The facia board should be off the roof shingles. Are there roof leaks? Are you putting on a new roof? Most new shingles are algae resistant.