Roofing ? for any professionals out there

Old 09-09-13, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roofing ? for any professionals out there

Hi all,

Need some input on this from anyone professionals out there. In the midst of purchasing a house and the home inspector flagged the roof as having three layers. New York building code only allows two layers before tearoff. The homeowner did the roof a couple months ago and didn't pull a permit or anything and added a third layer. The roof looks good and it looks like it was done correctly other than the layer issue. From what the town building inspector says ( just sent him a general question on it) the code changed in 2003 and prior to that they allowed 3 layers. THis is a two story bungalow style house. I am having a roofer go over today to look at. HE advised of the code change as well and also said he does a lot of 3 layer houses and has seen even 4 layers. Being that the code allowed 3 layers at one time means the roof is probably capable of holding the extra weight ( with snow load here in NY). If it was only change 10 years ago, there has to be a lot of homes out there with 3 layers. Any thoughts on this. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-13, 10:54 AM
I'm not a professional but feel like I should say something:

- Homeowner did roof without a permit.
- Homeowner did work that violates current building code.

These scream red flags to me. If a roofer was able to prove to me that everything was done correctly and that there are no structural issues....I would be sure to get a heavy discount on the purchase price of the home due to the above red flags.

Old 09-09-13, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
In addition, what else was done in this house without a permit?

Old 09-09-13, 09:34 PM
Seen plenty of roofs with three layers. I'd prefer to strip a roof and start fresh every time but some times that just isn't going to happen. Permit. A roof permit is currently costing me $215 plus the time involved in a 30 mile run. What does this permit get me. A piece of bright orange paper to post in the window and when the job is complete, an inspector will sign the paper. He will not have a ladder and probably won't get out of his car. The roof I am replacing is on a 10 yrs old building and there are currently about 50 water stains in the ceiling. This building was built with all the paper work and necessary permits. Just sayin'

Old 09-10-13, 07:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now when you have to redo the roof at some point it's going to end up costing you 3, times the price to have it stripped.

Old 09-10-13, 07:23 AM
Why Joe? Quotes I've gotten in the past charged "X" dollars per square for strip-off--regardless of layers. You don't peel them off a layer at a time...

Old 09-10-13, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
The dump fee would be higher but the labor shouldn't be much more.