water leaking behind gutters - tar/gravel roof

Old 09-15-13, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water leaking behind gutters - tar/gravel roof

Hello! Hoping someone can help me. Just moved into a new house and the back porch has a semi-flat tar/gravel roof with no drip edge so the water is rolling off the roof and leaking behind the gutters. Is there an easy way to fix this so the water will go into the gutters? I don't believe I can put flashing on this type of roof. (?) What are my options? I'm asking for my husband, he would like to try to fix it himself. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-13, 06:39 AM
Pictures would help. If flashing really isn't an option (but I would double check that if I were you) your other option is to adjust or remove and reinstall the gutters so the rear wall of it is behind the outtermost edge of the roof material and it is level from front to back rather than tilted towards the building. Aside from poor flashing that is usually the other reason this happens. But if your roof is really low slope and there is no flashing, gravity alone will probably not have a 100% success rate at pulling every drop of water off the roof and into the gutter. You can get alot of it. Some will still cling to the roof and follow the surface back underneath.

Last edited by eharri3; 09-16-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 10:11 AM
Thank you for your reply! I have attached one picture (hopefully!). I will try to post a better shot when my husband can get up on the ladder today. You can see the gutter and the top of the roof that has the problem....to the left is part of the roof that's sloped with shingles. Just a note: the bottom part of the picture is a electronic covering for the porch that rolls up.

I have read where someone put caulking between the gutter and the side of the house. Do you think this would work? I don't really see how.

I'm not sure how to get flashing under that tar/gravel. We've thought about screwing some sort of flashing into the front side of the roof and caulking it good....just to make the water roll into the gutter. The gutter seems to be right up against the house but the water is still seeping in between.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17847[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-13, 10:41 AM
I am not a fan of caulk in that application. If you can get flashing installed up there and position the gutters properly you should not have problems for years. Caulk eventually dries up and starts leaking again, and will need to be scrapped out and reapplied periodically. Caulking could also make the problem worse by trapping water that would otherwise leak out, causing it to find its way behind the fascia or soffit. A roofer could look at it and tell you the best way to get flashing in there and what type he would use.

Old 09-16-13, 11:05 AM
Yeah, the caulking didn't seem like a good idea to me either and everything you said makes sense! I would love to get a roofer over but just don't have the funds for it right now, really looking for a do it yourself job if at all possible.

Old 09-16-13, 11:18 AM
Then once you get pictures of the roof edge itself and the rear side of the gutter someone should be able to tell you what is possible.

Old 09-16-13, 11:24 AM
Thanks eharri3! I will take more shots and hopefully someone will have a few suggestions. And thank you for yours!

Old 09-20-13, 08:31 AM
Get it waterproofed. You may use plastic gutter to divert the water and get rid of leaks. It would help if you show me a photo as well.

Old 09-20-13, 08:39 AM
We haven't been able to get on the roof to get a good picture yet due to all the rain we've been getting here. This is the only one we could get for now.

Not so sure now if the water is leaking off the roof in between the wall and gutter. From the picture it looks like the gutter is plenty under the drip edge. Almost seems like it is leaking from somewhere else and the water always falls from certain locations, not all along the bottom of the gutter. Wondering if the gutters may need caulking...so hard to tell. We are probably going to have to get someone over to look at it. Seems like such an easy thing to fix but can't seem to figure out what's going on. Thanks for everyone's reply!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18067[/ATTACH]

Attached Images