Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Good price on my new roof? Wondering if I'm getting ripped off...

Old 09-25-13, 06:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide if I would be better off trying to tackle this myself or going with a contractor. I'll try to provide as much information as I can.

OK, so, my home is 1300sqft. It is a brick ranch. It is a home located on the Ohio/Michigan state line. There is nothing special on the roof, like skylights. It isn't especially steep or anything, I'm not sure of the exact pitch, but it's just your basic roof.

So here is the best estimate I've gotten so far, and here are all of the details he's written exactly as it appears on the contract:

- Complete tearoff of old roof, down to the plywood
- Install all new pinnacle lifetime pristine architectural shingle
- UDL 30yr underlayment titanium premium leak protection
- 6 roof vents, add 4 to back of house (black)
- Drip edge, ice guard starter strip, soil pipe boots, 1 1/4" roof nails, ridge cap to match shingle
- Fix gutters = pounding in loose spikes, fix corners
- Clean up all garbage generated

What I'm looking for is input on what would be a GOOD price for the aforementioned. If you really want to go crazy, it would be awesome if you know a lot about the trade and you would be able to break down materials vs labor. Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-25-13, 07:23 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just going to have to make the local calls and get two or three more quotes.

Old 09-25-13, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sq ft of the house does not necessarily tell you anything about the actual roof area. If you'd like better replies, you could include actual roof measurements, not the footprint of the house. We could guess, but if you want a real estimate, give us some real measurements and we will see what we can do.

Old 09-26-13, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have a neighbor who had his 1300+/- S.F. house's roof recently redone. He went with a much cheaper 3-tab shingle than you're getting, and they used staples instead of roofing nails. I think his wife said they paid $3900. It took a 3-man crew 3 days, including tear-off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: