Corrugated Fiberglass roofing panels

Old 09-18-13, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corrugated Fiberglass roofing panels

I have 2 questions regarding installing corrugated fiberglass panels over a porch deck. The 4' x 10' panels will be screwed into perpendicular 2” metal tubing at 3-foot intervals.

Can the screws be applied to the peaks of the panels without “closure forms” (wavy stuff) or are the closure forms necessary?

The location of the panels makes it impossible to “curl” them in order to reach where the screws need to go. Can a sheet of plywood be placed on top of s corrugated fiberglass panel support the weight of the installer without causing too much expansion or damage?

Any thoughts will be appreciated, Arpeggios

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-13, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I've always used the wavy wood strips underneath. Without them you can't screw down tight to seat the gasket under the screw's head without crushing the panel. If you want to go without the wavy strips you can screw through the valleys with increased risk of a slight leak but a dab of caulk or sealant can help with that.

As for supporting the weight of a person a lot depends on the quality of the panels. I've seen some panels that could support a person with their weight spread out on a scrap of plywood but what's currently available in my local big box home center is pretty thin and flimsy. I wouldn't even think of getting on top of it. One thing you could do is attach some narrow strips of wood to the bottom of your plywood. Size and space the wood strips to match the valleys in the corrugated so the plywood work platform is supported in the valley's and bearing on the support framework underneath.