"Wave" in roof line - impact of repair?

Old 09-20-13, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Wave" in roof line - impact of repair?

Just had new metal roof installed over a single layer of shingle roofing. Really liked the folks that did the work and it looks great. They pointed out a slight rise in the ridge line. It corresponds to a rise along the front edge, noticeable as the roof edge sits higher above the gutter at that point.

It appears that the high spot is likely related to a house jack that someone put in under a basement beam years ago (beam perpendicular to ridge line). I think it was overdone, believe it could be lowered a bit (very slowly!) to bring the roof back into line. The also explains some cracks around door frames on the inside wall.

My question is, if I start bringing the high spot down, will the metal roof need to be adjusted in any way as the roof beneath it becomes less stretched/ deformed? If so, at what point should I be asking roofers to check it (anticipating that I would pay a separate cost for any modification due to changes I make after their installation was complete). After so many turns on the jack . . . after so many weeks . . . after I start hitting roofing screws with the lawnmower? Can that even be done, or would it involve extra screw holes that would diminish roof integrity?

Is the high point here likely to have any functional impact, or just cosmetic? In other words, when I get soffit/fascia and gutters done, should I work to camoflage the problem at the edge (really obvious now due to some color contrast) instead of trying to correct the overdone house jack?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
I think it depends on your situation and you'll have to use your best judgement. The metal roof is screwed to the roof below so to a certain extent it will move within reason. If your high spot is particularly sharp or if you need to move it a lot it could be more than the metal roof can accommodate without help.

I would really consider if you want to try removing the high spot at this point. It might have made more sense before the new roof. The jacking was done for a reason, even if they did go too far. Undoing it could cause other problems like; cracked walls & ceilings, doors not fitting or closing well and there is always the chance that the roof won't move like you think. You really need to look at the whole structure especially with older homes. All different parts of the home can move in different ways. Maybe when that area was jacked it was straight & level but the high spot is a result of other areas sinking?