Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

How to seal gap between wood framing members, wall and roof

Old 09-20-13, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Good Afternoon all!

I am not sure of the terminology but there are gaps where the wooden framing enters into the wall and meets the roof. Its a question of how to seal the wood of the framing members to the wood of the fascias(?)

I would estimate the gaps are upto 5/8 inch. Should I use caulk, spray foam or is there some other sort of wood glue/filler that would be ideal.

The main objective is to prevent pests from entering the attic

Pictures would help

Thank you.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 206 Posts
First get some foam backer rod (caulk saver) to stuff into the wide gaps. They sell it in 1/8" increments, so you might want some 1/4" or 3/8" or 1/2" or 5/8" backer rod. It needs to compress slightly, so for a 1/2" gap you'd use 5/8"... for a 1/4" gap you'd use 3/8", etc. It comes in a bag, 25' long usually and it's pretty cheap... maybe $4.

Then get a latex caulk that is paintable (don't use 100% silicone) and caulk the gaps.

Old 09-20-13, 06:37 PM
Thanks Xsleeper, I do happen to have some backer rod here. I could squeeze that in there definitely... thats interesting about latex caulk... we get plenty of sun here and I was always under the impression that latex caulk did not do too well with outdoor sun and movement. I was leaning more toward polyurethane if I used caulk... but hey if latex will work, thats much easier and cheaper!

Old 09-20-13, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 206 Posts
You can certainly use polyurethane... it just does not tool as nicely as latex. And by latex, I meant a "quality" latex, not the cheapest one out there. One of the better latex caulks IMO is Sashco Big Stretch, as far as elasticity is concerned. Vulkem is a good choice too if you want a polyurethane that stays flexible. It tools pretty well, compared to others.

Old 09-21-13, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Brant on using Big Stretch. It is far superior to regular caulk products in that it "stretches" and compresses with the changes in the season. With two planes going together, you will get uneven movement, and it will really keep things tight.

Old 09-21-13, 01:44 PM
Big Stretch sounds good. They also have a "through the roof" product for roofs that I can use. Thanks. I think I have a plan to implement. Though with a minor change, apparently rats/mice can chew through caulk, backer rod etc so it is recommended to use copper/steel wool as a backer rod.