continous snow stops. good idea?

Old 10-01-13, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
continous snow stops. good idea?

i looked out the window this evening to find my neighbor had three continuous strips at the third of the run of his roof increments newly installed on her roof. i think they should be staggered and discontinuous, as they are on my house. i'm in a snow part of alaska. have seen a dozen feet in a year and it comes in pretty big dumpings. whatchareckon?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-13, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I reckon that the neighbor had someone install her snow stops who perhaps didn't have a lot of experience doing so, and/or was using a home-made arrangement made in someone's garage. Most (all?) installations I've seen are intermittent and staggered, such that snow is held on the roof in randomly-spaced, short runs. I'm far from an expert on snow guards, as we called them in Colorado, but have seen dozens of them installed where many feet of snow during a single storm are common. Interestingly, the log house we lived in, at almost 8000 feet of elevation, and having a steeply-pitched metal roof, didn't have any snow guards of any kind except for a metal cricket at the woodstove chimney--all of the snow just dumped along and into the grassy swales on the sides of the house, doing no damage to the ground there. It just melted and flowed away come warm weather breaks, resulting in a very dry basement that never even needed a dehumidifier.

Old 10-02-13, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
We don't get a lot of snow here in tenn but I still see a lot of roofs that have the snow guards. IMO it's best to stagger them although I see it done both ways. Either way should protect the gutters from being damaged if a lot of snow slides off the roof.