Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Downspout elbow installed against flow of water by contractor?

Old 10-06-13, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The contractor that replaced my rusted out downspouts has installed the elbows so that they don't insert into the downstream pipe. My understanding is that you always need to crimp the upstream pipe and insert it into the downstream pipe to avoid leaks. Since these are vinyl downspouts, I guess you need to buy the right parts and install them so that the water flows in the direction of the arrow.

He's done this for the first elbow attached to the soffit on every downspout. Is this a standard installation technique or do I need to ask him to reverse them all?

Please see attached picture, as the above description may be confusing. In the picture, the downstream pipe slides into the cuff of the elbow. If you look at the elbow, there is an arrow and that side of elbow piping is smaller so that it would fit into a pipe.

He's also done this when the downspout doesn't align with the sewer drain. When I asked him about that, he said that it was ok because the drainage tile around the house would take care of it. Is that true?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-13, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ya there all wrong and need to be fixed.
I can not believe a self respecting contractor would even use cheap DIY grade plastic down spouts.
Why in the world are they coming out of the soffits and there's no gutters?
Really need a picture of what he's done on the roof.
Gutter drains should never run to the sewer drains.

Old 10-07-13, 03:17 PM
I would not be happy with that. The downstream component should go over the upstream component. This is how you guarantee it will never leak. What do the vertical sections look like???

Old 10-07-13, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who's idea was it to install the new trim boards without priming and painting them on all side first?

Old 10-07-13, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Joe, they look like old trim boards to me.

Old 10-08-13, 08:26 PM
Thanks for replies. I got confirmation that they do leak as expected when it rained the last couple of days.

The downspout connects to hidden gutter system, so the drain comes through the soffit.

The fascia boards are old, and not apart of this job. I suspect the previous owner just slapped on some new paint in the cheapest way possible before they sold it to us.