Shingles Lifting on Asphalt Roof

Old 10-07-13, 07:41 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shingles Lifting on Asphalt Roof

I have some shingles that are lifting slightly in two areas, behind a chimney (upward slope side) and also along a wall. The shingles lift together like they still are all bonded together with the sealant, not separately. It feel like there is a space between the shingle and underlayment. The chimney area is moist and had some moss over it which I removed. The wall area is on the north side also with moisture and moss around. The wall area is a 5 yr old repair area.

Couple other areas of the roof feel like they are just starting to lift the same way. The roof is about 20 yrs old and due for replacement which I could not get done this season unfortunately. There are no water leaks during when it rains. Should I do any repair to those areas now before the winter weather hits?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-13, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It sounds as if you may have nail pops. The nails have worked their way partially from the OSB underlayment and are lifting the shingles up. You may can verify this by separating the shingles from each other and looking at the nail placement on the lower shingle, driving it back down if necessary. Moss is a sure indication of continued moisture in an area and is not a good sign. Be prepared for decking repair when you have the roof done, and inspect it with your roofer as they go along, just so they don't gloss over a weakened underlayment area.