Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

holes in plywood roof deck not repaired during re-shingling

Old 10-14-13, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We recently had our roof re-shingled by a reputable company. Recently we were up in the attic checking on the insulation and noticed that when they removed some old roof stacks/vents, they did not repair the square plywood holes left behind. They simply rolled the black paper right over top and laid the shingles down. There are about 3 holes and each hole is about 1.5 feet X 1.5 feet. Large enough for a boot to fit through, if somebody were to walk across the roof. Should I be calling them back to fix this? Were they just cutting corners or is this normal?? Please help me, I am not sure what to do.
Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-13, 09:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No it's not normal or expectable.
Guess there was no permit pulled on that one.
That's just plain stupid to have done it that way.

Old 10-15-13, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I'd call them back! I assume you've already paid them Hopefully they will come back and make it right, if not let us know. Some jurisdictions require permits but don't follow thru with inspections

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 10-15-13, 07:14 AM
Thank you.
This job was through Home Depot, and apparently was fully "inspected" at the time of completion. However, I guess he didn't look at the job from the attic side. If we had pulled our own permit from the city, would the inspector had asked to have access to our attic for a roof inspection? , as it is impossible to see that the roof deck was not patched up simply by looking at it from the outside.
I'll be calling them back....so disappointed with this company.

Old 10-15-13, 07:26 AM
I would take pics of what you're seeing from the underside just in case you need to 'gently nudge' anyone to get on this as soon as possible. This really should be addressed soon. I noticed you're from Canada and our ever loving snow isn't far away.

Wow, what a serious safety issue just to leave sitting there. I hope Home Despot pulls the roofers from their "approved contractor" list.

I'm not sure you even need a building permit for a roof in Canada. I've seen hundreds of roofs being laid down, but have never seen a building permit posted anywhere.

Old 10-15-13, 08:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure to file a written complaint with HD on this one.
I've ever once seen a job the box stores sub done right. Which is fine by me because I get to go in and get paid to fix it.