Should Fascia companies use ladders

Old 10-30-13, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should Fascia companies use ladders

Hi, we are looking at having our gutters & fascias replaced. I have had a few quotes (All very different).
One company (Fascia Wise) have quoted us who seem quite cheap compared to others. But ive seen them working on a couple of houses on the estate and the use ladders not scaffold.
Ive been told it is my responsibility as the house owner to make sure anyone working on my house uses the correct safety/access equipment.
Does anyone know wants the correct way?
Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-13, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Ladders are expedient, and can be moved quickly. They, in and of themselves, are not dangerous. If properly used they pose no problems. Scaffolding, especially reaching 2 1/2 stories as you picture would be highly inefficient, although much safer, and would cause your cost factor to go sky high. Many contractors will call in scaffolding erecting crews, who do it for a living. You don't want to incur that just for fascia/soffit repair/installation. Lift trucks make safe platforms for work, but only hold one person. You would need a fleet to keep enough people working at a good rate. Here, again, cost.

Before any work is begun, make sure the company doing the work, has their insurance company send you a letter of coverage as well as workers compensation, as well as any permits and licenses needed or required for your area of the UK.

Old 10-30-13, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your reply. I just didnt want to get in trouble with the Health & Safety. But if its OK to work off ladders thats fine.

Old 10-30-13, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Not sure if it is the same where you are but here contractors should carry liability and workers compensation for their employees.
If they do not and have an accident you could be financially involved.

I would be more concerned with this rather than worrying what their equipment looks like.

Old 10-30-13, 02:40 PM
When I had my gutters done the guys worked from ladders. Scaffolding has to be transported, then assembled, then broken down when done. It is time consuming and cumbersome and not practical for every home. Ladders can be positioned and re-positioned quickly and easily.

Old 10-30-13, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
I have never heard of anyone questioning working on a ladder until now.

Old 10-31-13, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I agree! If anything, I've questioned the odd ball companies that used scaffolding when ladders would work just as well and a lot more cost efficient.

Old 10-31-13, 04:54 AM
Once again thanks for all your advise. The main reason I asked the question was that a friend of mine used a comapany in Sheffield for her gutters, they used ladders with with a board across. The Health & Safety people turned up & stopped them from working until they got safety bars/ rails or something. She had to wait nearly 3 weeks with half a job done before the firm was allowed to finish it. I dont want this to happen to me .
Il make sure I ask to see the companies insurance.
Thanks

Old 10-31-13, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
That is called a "ladder jack" scaffold. In the US, there are OSHA regulations that govern how high that type of scaffolding can be used without using fall protection (harnesses and lanyards). Guard rails are not required, but I think it simply CANNOT be used over a certain height... 20' if I recall. Canada and UK regulations may be completely different.

At any rate, there is a big difference between "working off a ladder" and working on a plank that is on ladder jacks.