small leak ... don't see openings near exhaust vent

Old 11-04-13, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
small leak ... don't see openings near exhaust vent

I have a small leak somewhere near our stove exhaust vent on the roof. We only see water entry during extended rains and/or heavy rains. We know water is traveling down the exterior and interior of the vent fan duct. At first we thought it was due to rain bouncing off the roof during heavy rains into the exhaust vent. However, that doesn't explain why it is happening during extended light rains, IE not enough wind or bouncing force for that to realistically occur.

I went on the roof this weekend and inspected the exhaust vent, flashing, shingles, and attachments in general. This is what's miffing me... After 20 minutes of close inspection I didn't see any holes, loose connections, evidence of improper installation, opening between materials/parts, any clues as to what is going on. There is a plumbing vent 2 feet away from the roof exhaust vent. It looked fine. The chimney is about 8 feet away. Looked fine.

Any ideas of where else to look?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-13, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Have you gone inside the attic when it's raining? It's quite possible that it's not coming in near the stove exhaust. If you'r certain water is getting inside the duct I would look over the hood closely. you might have a small hole in a joint.

I would also look anywhere uphill from the suspect vent. Look for cracks, nail holes and also give the plumbing vent a good look over. I recently had a leak that turned out to be a vent fitting was not glued and was dripping many feet away from where it penetrated the roof.

Old 11-04-13, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post a picture of that area.
That vent should look some thing like this.
roof vent pictures - Bing Images