Repairing Gutters and Installing Drip Edge

Old 11-08-13, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing Gutters and Installing Drip Edge

So I just recent purchased a home, and quickly realized that the gutters need to be repaired and that the roof has no active drip edge. The roof, about 5 years old, is currently at a 30 degree angle all around, and there is enough shingle length to get most of the water into the gutters, but the decking is beginning to show signs of water contact, and I just want to install a drip edge to protect it through the years.

The first question: What style of drip edge should I use? The standard options at Home Depot seem to be for 90 degree roofs. Will those work on my roof as well, or is there a better option.

Second: The current gutters have nail in hangers, and not good ones. I plan to remove these, but have gotten conflicting reports about what to replace them with. Some say bigger screw in bolts, and others say hidden hangers. The screw in bolts can just replace the current nail in type, so that would be easy, but I'm afraid they'll just come right back out eventually. Are the hidden hangers the best choice, even if it leaves holes in the gutter from the old spikes?

Third: I currently have 2X3 inch downspouts on 5 inch gutters. Should I replace these with bigger downspouts?

Fourth: I need to reseal the joints at a couple places, what is the best product in everyone's opinion?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-13, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got some pictures?
Best thing to do is get rid of those old style gutters, repair the fascia's, install new seamless gutters.
There going to come with hidden hangers.

Old 11-08-13, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
Next time the roof gets done, demand they install 3' of ice and water shield above the gutters. It's standard code around here. You probably don't get the ice we do, but I guarantee you get more rain!

1). gutter apron. If you don't know what it looks like, try google images. It comes bent at a standard angle of about 20.

2). hidden hangers with the angled 4" screws... provided you don't mind the holes from the old spikes. If you just want to get a few more years out of the gutters, fill the holes with JB Weld Waterputty. (comes in a tube the size of a roll of quarters.) its a whitish colored epoxy.

3). yes, bigger downspouts and bigger outlets... they drain twice the volume of water and don't get clogged as fast. May not be worth it if the gutters are due to be replaced in a few years anyway.

4). kind of depends what's available. Usually the gutter sealant that any big box has in a caulking tube will work just fine. Dap Gutter & Flashing... super sticky and stringy so have a rag and some paint thinner handy to cleanup messes. OSI and Tremco are other popular brands... not sure what's available in your area.