Level and insulate embedded gutter

Old 11-20-13, 10:46 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Level and insulate embedded gutter

Hi.

I have an U shape embedded gutter with abt 11 meters length and one single drain.
The slope of the last third is wrong(should have another drain at the end) and the water gets stuck there, with close to 2 cm at the very end.

Two questions:
1. Any idea on some kind of material that can be applied inside the gutter to redo the level correctly?
2. And would this or any other material capable of thermally insulate the concrete where it is based?

The gutter in question is galvanized steel, has about a dozen years and is in good condition, even the part that remains 'submerged'.
Posting a photo, tks for any opinion.

Rebelo
Name:  gutter.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  34.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-13, 12:01 PM
E
Not familiar with that type of gutter so I'd need more detailed pics of how it is installed to say definitively. But here goes with my 2 cents.

Ideally you never want any water remaining anywhere in the gutter after the rain has stopped and that is the ideal. That is what all the experts and all the literature says. Realistically, even on properly installed systems it won't be uncommon to see an inch or two of water still sitting there that has to evaporate after a rainfall. It is next to impossible to completely 100% get it all to drain out naturally. It is most common at corners and near end caps. I'd say if it's more than about 1-2 inches or there is pooled water through most of the gutter there is a serious slope issue. If my math is correct your 2 CM is less than an an American inch, not necessarily something I'd be concerned about as long as the gutter is evacuating smoothly and not overflowing while rain is actually falling.

Old 11-20-13, 12:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
FWIW, 2 cm is about 8/10". eharri's math was good.

Old 11-20-13, 01:39 PM
R
Ok, tks.
I will post some aditional photos and info tomorrow.

Old 11-21-13, 02:38 AM
R
Then, pics as follows:
Attachment 21687
Gutter in red

Attachment 21688
Here is on the left just painted with a metal primer

Attachment 21689
Overall pic from house.
Guter is marked in yellow and the wrong sloped part is the one between the plastic tube and the forgotten drain that was covered with a plastic vent.

I've no issues with the water evacuation and/ or overflowing.
The issue is that the water pools on that area for a long time before it evaporates. But for my surprise the steel condition remains good after a dozen years.
The idea was to put something inside the gutter to make the proper slope and avoid that pool.

Another thing is that the metal lays directly on the ciment bellow creating the so called thermal bridge that makes some dark spots appearing inside the house ceiling. At the time of house construction people just did not paid any attention to thermal items.
So the idea was to find a way to insulate the gutter also from the outside.

Old 11-21-13, 07:01 AM
R
Somehow pcs have disapeared, let's try once again.
Attachment 21702
Attachment 21703
Attachment 21704