Installing Ice and Water Shield - Many Questions!

Old 12-02-13, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Ice and Water Shield - Many Questions!

Hi, I'm planning a wooden shingle roof with a 16:12 pitch (steep!), in New York state so the winters are very cold. I'd like to install an ice and water shield but I have a lot of questions about this!

1. I hear I'm supposed to install the ice shield 24" up past the wall of the house, but my roof has 24" eaves, and 18" thick walls - so do I really need to use a 64" wide ice shield?

2. I'm guessing people just nail their shingles down straight through the ice shield - don't all those puncture holes defeat the purpose?

3. If I'm using wooden shingles, should I install cedar breather over the top of the ice shield, to protect my shingles? Would this just exacerbate the problem of water seeping in the nail holes?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 05:36 PM
Wood shingles are a fire hazard, and very prone to not lasting long before requiring replacement. I can't answer any of your questions, but would like to suggest you consider using a metal roof instead of wood shingles--metal roofing comes in a variety of colors and patterns, can last 50 years or more before needing replacement, and also doesn't require a water/ice dam barrier, as there are no (transverse) seams for water to penetrate. It has the added benefit of being quite fire-resistant.

Old 12-10-13, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Code is 24" inside the warm wall so whatever you need in this case, needs to be applied.

Ice/Water is supposed to be self healing/sealing around the nail heads.

With all the suitable alternatives out there, is wood the only option? It is treated, in most cases, with a fire retardant, but I would still use something like metal or one of the good synthetic shakes. Permanent at that point.