Installing Ice and Water Shield - Many Questions!

Old 12-02-13, 08:47 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Ice and Water Shield - Many Questions!

Hi, I'm planning a wooden shingle roof with a 16:12 pitch (steep!), in New York state so the winters are very cold. I'd like to install an ice and water shield but I have a lot of questions about this!

1. I hear I'm supposed to install the ice shield 24" up past the wall of the house, but my roof has 24" eaves, and 18" thick walls - so do I really need to use a 64" wide ice shield?

2. I'm guessing people just nail their shingles down straight through the ice shield - don't all those puncture holes defeat the purpose?

3. If I'm using wooden shingles, should I install cedar breather over the top of the ice shield, to protect my shingles? Would this just exacerbate the problem of water seeping in the nail holes?

Old 12-07-13, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wood shingles are a fire hazard, and very prone to not lasting long before requiring replacement. I can't answer any of your questions, but would like to suggest you consider using a metal roof instead of wood shingles--metal roofing comes in a variety of colors and patterns, can last 50 years or more before needing replacement, and also doesn't require a water/ice dam barrier, as there are no (transverse) seams for water to penetrate. It has the added benefit of being quite fire-resistant.

Old 12-10-13, 03:05 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code is 24" inside the warm wall so whatever you need in this case, needs to be applied.

Ice/Water is supposed to be self healing/sealing around the nail heads.

With all the suitable alternatives out there, is wood the only option? It is treated, in most cases, with a fire retardant, but I would still use something like metal or one of the good synthetic shakes. Permanent at that point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: