Collar tie ? bowing

Old 12-16-13, 07:43 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Collar tie ? bowing

Hi All,

I just bought a house (Toronto 1950s, double brick) and one of the beams in the attic, i believe a Collar tie (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ad-section.gif), is showing signs of bowing. I'm not sure if this is the right name for the beam. Basically i have the rafters running east west and meeting at the peak of the roof. I have a beam which goes from the ceiling joists at a 45 degree angle up to the peak of the roof and this is the beam that bowes, deviating by about 6" from parallel.

Anyway, this is an old house and i assume this is just a sign of settling but i wanted to see if anyone though this was a sign of anything? Roof leaning perhaps ?

cheers
oman

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-13, 05:54 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is not the collar tie that you are describing.

Sounds like to me that you are describing a roof rafter. Can you post up a picture?

Old 02-09-14, 11:32 AM
O
Hi DIWoW

So apparently it took me 2 months to take a photo, busy busy!

This image vaguely shows the "collar tie" i was talking about, sorry for the bad quality but you kind of get the idea. The beam goes from my party wall of the attached house to the centre of the roof at a 45 degree angle.

If anyone has insight whether anything should be done about this i'd be interested as i'm getting ready to insulate my attic so want to solve all issue like this before i proceed.

Regards
oman

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-14, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
That 2x4 is not a collar tie and it's not a beam... it's simply a lateral brace. I can't explain why it is bowed so badly, but it's only purpose was to keep the rafters from moving while the roof was being constructed. Now it serves no purpose For all we know, it may have been bowed like this for 60 years or more.

Old 02-10-14, 05:07 PM
O
Thanks XSleeper,

i'll cross worrying about that off the list

oman

Old 02-10-14, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
And now you can start worrying about all of the snowflakes visible in the attic photo--when that snow accumulates and melts, it's going to make the insulation soggy and worthless.