Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

leaky roof above/around door ruining sheetrock major ice dams

Old 12-16-13, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am new to the forum, but have an issue that that I have been dealing with since I purchased this home three years ago. I am not sure on what slope this roof is at, but it is an addition that was added im guessing within the last 10 years. Every winter(btw I live in North Dakota), I have major ice build up within the first foot of the edge, and builds up into my gutters to the point that my gutters will rip off. Well when the temps drop into the single digits, I don't seem to have an issue, but when it starts to warm into the teens or twenties, the ice begins to melt, enough that I start to get condensation and water leaks into the house destroying the sheetrock. Now it really only dams up around my entry door and about 2-3 feet either side of the door. the rest of the roof seems fine. And that's where I have the water issues inside the house. Rest of the sheetrock seems fine. The door is close to a corner, not sure if that matters. I know I get a lot of heat loss opening and closing the door, and there is only about six inches of overhang, but wouldn't think that would cause this much moisture. Also the sheetrock is at the same angle as the roof line, with what I'm guessing is no more than eight inches between the rock and the roof. There is insulation up there. I can also assume there is ice shield up, as I can see it along the shingle line at the bottom. I really don't want to have to replace sheetrock every year. Any ideas of what I can/should do? Sorry if I left anything out. I'm new to actually trying to DIY some of these bigger projects.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-13, 08:57 PM
I also forgot to mention that this happens on the back side of the roof too. It doesn't leak into the house, but the ice dams are worse. The slope is about the same as the other roof, and the ceiling is flat. Im guessing theres more insulation there. What Im trying to figure out is if this is a shingle issue or insulation issue

Old 12-16-13, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
You can expect a roof that's 8" from the interior ceiling to get lots of ice dams. The thing that will prevent that melting snow from leaking in is called ice and water shield. On a roof like that you probably should just strip all the shingles and apply the ice and water shield to the entire area, then re-shingle. Depending on the slope of the addition, you may need to overlap the seams of the ice and water shield more than usual.

On the back side, where the ceiling is flat, you could check to see if there is enough space and ventilation between the bottom of the roof sheathing and the insulation. Fresh air should be able to get in from the soffit and exhaust out the ridge or out the can style roof vents.

Old 12-16-13, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the fast response. I appreciate your help. I was thinking about a can vent on the back roof providing there is enough room. I'm guessing a vent wouldn't work in the front as there isn't enough air flow between the insulation and the roof. When the house was resided, there was no vented soffits installed.