replacing roof

Old 01-01-14, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing roof

I have stripped the roofing shingles off to expose the plywood decking and notice it is buckled and splintered. The roof is an add on to the original house which has been extended about eight feet. The old roof still exists in the attic so I am guessing this not only impedes proper air circulation in the attic, but also probably generates a lot of heat in the summer which isn't getting vented - leading to the warping of the newer roof decking.

Should I just add vents to the newer roof or should I cut out as much of the old roof as possible to improve air flow throughout the attic (or both)?

I will not be able to re-shingle until spring so I need to button up the stripped roof. I live in Massachusetts so there will be plenty of rain and snow. My plan is to tar paper the roof with #30 felt, seal the seams with waterproof tape and cover with a large tarp. What do you think my chances are of surviving the winter without taking on water?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-14, 03:13 PM
A picture of the structure would be helpful. Is this roof add-on a flat roof? If you vent the top, is there a way to get air into the attic? You said the old roof is not being vented, so it sounds like there no reason to cut up the old roof unless you are going to vent the new roof as well. Improved air flow only happens if you have vents at the bottom and the top.

Old 01-01-14, 04:14 PM
roofing felt w/button nails - tarp if you will but I wouldn't be sealing seams,,, just my $.03

Old 01-06-14, 07:39 AM
I figured sealing the felt seams would help keep water out in case of ice dams along the drip edge. I did install two rows of ice shield along drip edge and a couple of rows of tar paper about two thirds up the roof. Covered with two tarps overlapped by about six feet but still got a LOT of leaking during a heavy rain storm. Couldn't find any holes or rips in tarp, but maybe the tarp wasn't as waterproof as the supplier claimed. Anyhoo...I added a second single tarp that covers the entire roof. Hopefully this will get me till spring. Thanks for your $.03!

Old 01-06-14, 07:57 AM
Thanks for your reply. I will be installing ridge vent and a continuous soffit vent when I do the roof this spring. The soffit will get air to the space between the old and new roof but not sure it will circulate into the attic space unless the old roof is opened up near the peak. I'll try to send a pic...not sure how to attach to the thread (just a newbie here!) but will figure it out!

Old 01-06-14, 09:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1, No way would I have stripped a roof in your area knowing it was not going to get shingled.
If for some strange reason I had to do it that way I would not have used tar paper. That's going to be trashed and need to all come off by the time you shingle it.