Leaky Roof Near Bathroom Exhaust Vent

Old 01-24-14, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky Roof Near Bathroom Exhaust Vent

We have had a lot of snow this year and its causing us a lot of grief. Twice this winter we have had a leak into our bathroom through the fan and we found that it was caused by water leaking around the bathroom exhaust vent in the attic.

4 weeks ago we thought we fixed the issue by shoveling snow away from the vent and by adding more insulation to the attic near the fan box. Last night we discovered arms of ice reaching from the roof to the ceiling beams...

Help! What is causing this and how do we fix it?

Name:  IMG_1084.jpg
Views: 2301
Size:  31.0 KBName:  IMG_1085.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  36.5 KBName:  IMG_1086.jpg
Views: 9543
Size:  33.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
I think you've said it; "ice dam". You probably need to do the usual stuff for ice dams. Properly insulated the ceiling and get good ventilation in the attic. Since it's a reoccurring problem it might be worth while this summer to remove the shingles from the eave up to and beyond the vent and install a membrane. In the mean time I would insure that snow is not blocking your attic ventilation like a ridge vent.

Old 01-24-14, 11:13 AM
What made you assume this is an ICE dam? Can you actually see one at the eave in a spot near where this is happening? I would also be looking at the shingles and pipe collar in the area above where that pipe exits the roof for defects and problems. Not an easy thing this time of year, I know.

Old 01-24-14, 05:02 PM
I went on top of the roof this afternoon to clear some snow and discovered a U shaped dam of ice surrounding the bottom side of the vent....I assume this is why water is leaking on the inside?

I am a first time home buyer so I don't really know what kind of vent is the proper kind. The vent that is part of the issue is very low lying to the roof.