Worn shingles under dormer

Old 01-26-14, 10:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Worn shingles under dormer

So we have two dormers on the roof. looks like the extra water that runs off of these has caused extra wear on the shingles below running to the rood edge. In one of cutouts in the shingles a leak has developed from this, I know for sure because i tarred those cutouts and the leak has stopped. Rest of the roof looks ok. Can I just replace this line up to where the dormer is?

Is this common? Doesn't seem like gutters would work on the dormer. What would stop this in the future?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 02-06-14 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Typo fix
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-14, 05:06 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you post a few pics?

Old 01-27-14, 06:27 PM
P
could but there is snow on it....the shingles are darker where the water has run down. cant really tell much towards the bottom where the leak is except a bit more shingle granules loose, but overall the shingles are in great shape. i would say at most 10 years old that is the only reason i dont want to replace it all if i dont have to

Old 01-27-14, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 635 Votes on 587 Posts
What exactly is the question? Can you replace just the shingles that are worn? Yes, if you're careful. Are the shingle worn in the valley or is it where the water drips off the dormer fascia? Some do put a gutter up on the dormer fascia, but leave the end next to the roof open, cutting it at an angle to match the angle of the adjacent roofline that the gutter butts into, and leaving maybe 1" of clearance for drainage.

Old 01-28-14, 05:53 PM
P
Yes the question is am I ok to just replace this line of shingles.no valley just warn where the water drips off the dormer and then follow that line all the way to edge of the roof. i think just whatever percent more water that runs there has worn it quicker

Old 01-29-14, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If there's enough runoff to wear down shingles, I think installing dormer gutters would be the way to go. You could still replace the worn shingles, but the gutters will mean that you won't have to repeat the shingle replacement process in a few years. And as mentioned earlier, replacing "in-field" shingles should be done carefully, to avoid ruining adjacent ones (that presently don't need replacing).

Old 02-05-14, 06:32 PM
P
Ok red is the leak. Light gray is where it is worn from the water run off.I know red is the leak because my patch has held so far, and i have a hole cut in the roof inside until i get this cleaned up in spring.

Name:  513.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  50.2 KB

Old 02-05-14, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
Is that where the leak is...... where the arrow is ?

You want to replace the shingles in a row following your gray line...from the gutter up to the dormer ?
Not only is that a lot of work.... how will you match new shingles to the old. The color/shading will never match.

Name:  513.jpg
Views: 3242
Size:  20.3 KB

Old 02-06-14, 03:26 PM
P
Yes that arrow is where the leak is. I'm not too worried about matching it perfect. Only thing is that row sometimes two will have to be replaced just the way they line up. So it will be a good amount. See how the water would run down there extra, it just wore them out I'd say twice as thick. I just don't see gutters really working there.