Water shooting down the roof valley

Old 02-05-14, 12:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water shooting down the roof valley

Greetings from Oregon, the shower me state. Having lived in several homes over the years (renting) this is a new phenomenon for me. Upon purchase of our first home year before last and the first rains of the Oregon autumn I noticed that my van was getting water cannoned by the water shooting off the roof valley, over the gutter and cascading four feet from the house. I suppose the distance is a good thing, keeping the water away from the foundation, but there are three other valleys that are doing the same.
I went down to Home depot and learned of roof valley rain kickout divertors, however all they had were these stumpy 4 inch critters;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26053[/ATTACH]

Testing one of these on the most easily reachable valley I installed it and tested it with a hose. It seemed to function okay but in the months since I've noticed that the rainwater seeps around the corners of this thing defeating its purpose in keeping the infamous Oregon rain in the gutter.
So what's a better way to address this?

Thanks in advance and a lift of the lynch lid.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-14, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 645 Votes on 597 Posts
I have always made my own out of aluminum gutter coil stock (to match either the gutters, valleys or roofs... depending) But then, I also have the metal break to bend the heavy gauge coil, and friends in the gutter business.

Old 02-06-14, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 607 Votes on 560 Posts
I don't worry about getting every drop into the gutter. Just get the bulk of water directed into the gutter to avoid eroding a hole on the ground.

Old 02-06-14, 06:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, for the responses. I suspected I'd have to roll my own, more or less. Especially in this consumer desert I live in. While this 4" does divert most of the water, that that does spill over finds it's way under the drip rail, soffet and possibly the siding.
Any designs, drawings or other that can be posted would be a great help.

Old 02-07-14, 04:03 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
it happens - especially when you experience rain deluges,,, we're got gutter covers so that exacerbates the issue often,,, not much 1 can do when you get ' Noah's ark ' type rainstorms