6 bucks a foot for mesh gutter guard?

Old 02-10-14, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
6 bucks a foot for mesh gutter guard?

the guy that just installed my roof said he's been using this for years and no complaints. 6 a foot seems pretty high though. he didnt have a sample on the truck but just said it's aluminum very fine mesh screwed down to the gutter . he said the mesh wont clog because the holes are too small. i have about 200 ft to do so this wont be cheap. he's been very good about putting up the roof and fixing a dam leak that happened during a storm (insulation needed replaced) so i have no reason to think he would mislead me. but i figured i should come here and ask anyway. at least i know they will be installed correctly and since he did the roof that wont be an issue.

i just have maples and magnolia for the most part. no pine needles thankfully.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-14, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
$6 a foot does seem high, seeing as how it probably is similar to this type, which costs about $1.25/ft.

This is definitely something you could DIY if you don't mind being on a ladder.

Old 02-11-14, 12:28 PM
There is also this kind...
http://www.guttersupply.com/file_are...72405_2093.jpg
Which sounds morel like what your guy describes. More expensive and seems labor intensive, as you need to go under the shingles as well. Strikes me as a horrible idea, since my understanding is that the gutters should be below the continuation of the roof angle, so that ice and snow can slide over them. But maybe that rule of thumb isn't as necessary if you have strong brackets and gutter guards.

Old 03-08-14, 12:36 PM
Gutter Protection - Gutters by Ply Gem

170 feet for 1000 bucks. i got up on a short ladder to peek. it's not visible from the ground. apparently screwed in the front of the gutter about every foot or so and in the back there's a plastic lip that is pressed against the rear of the gutter and goes up about an inch or so

even though it's horizontal he said debris doesnt gather up there and block all the holes.

amazon puts the price arond 475 so about 500 to install it.

Old 03-08-14, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Yeah that's almost identical to the stuff I linked to that is only $1.25/ft.

Old 03-12-14, 11:26 AM
Two points:

1) I only have one stretch of gutter guard on the first story on the side of my home where there is an actual tree. I didn't bother with it anywhere else because there is no tree within 100 yards that is higher than my first floor roof. And I see now reason to, although the salesman will probably want to sell you enough for your old house because you cut him a bigger check that way.

2) My style of mesh has the larger holes and I prefer that. Why? Two types of debris are probably going to come down your roof. Leaves and twigs will easily get washed off the gutter guard. But roof shingle grannules and dirt or grud will not. If the holes are too small, THAT STUFF will clog it up. I actually prefer that they are big enough so the smaller, finer dirt just falls into the gutter. Then I can remove the guards and get it out of there once or twice per year. The gutters still have to be cleaned, but under most circumstances less often than if the big debris gets a chance to drop in there.

Old 03-17-14, 02:50 AM
my $.03 - if you like the guy's work & you're confident in his ability, talk to him, not us,,, we're cheap this is a diy forum but i wouldn't put my own gutters up

Old 03-17-14, 06:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have never seen a mesh gutter guard where pine needles would not stick in the holes. Enough pine needles and other leaves will back up behind them. Who cleans out the gutters should they become clogged. That needs to be spelled out in plain English before the job starts.