Garage water problems

Old 02-16-14, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage water problems

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions as to what they think I should do regarding some water issues I've been having with my semi-detached garage. I have two main issues right now (that I can see):

1) Water is leaking onto the fascia board:

Name:  IMG-20140216-00036.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  IMG-20140216-00035.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  48.2 KB

I recently asked a contractor to take a look at the problem and he added the flashing over the gutters, but the problem is still there.

2) Door to the garage has a block of concrete in front of it to prevent water from getting into the garage. However, between the block of concrete and the door is a small gap (the door extends all the way to the floor, past the concrete block). Rain that hits the door or condensation will cause water to drip down the gap and into the garage. Wondering if there's anything I can put to fill the gap or if there are any other recommendations on how to prevent water from getting in there.

Name:  IMG-20140216-00037.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  IMG-20140216-00038.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  32.9 KB

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-14, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It appears the contractor had the correct approach but did not execute it properly. The added flashing should have extended into the gutter more than what appears in the picture. I would have it extend into the gutter at least 1" and preferably have a separation from the gutter on the back side by at least 1/4" to 3/8". It seems that parts of what was done still end above the back of the gutter. Having a lot of nails driven through the front of the flashing doesn't help either. A professional sheet metal shop would be able to produce a system that would give you protection without having a lot of nails through the finished product.

As far as the doorway there are drip caps that can be attached to the door above the threshold that would direct water further onto the threshold and as long as it has positive drainage to the stairwell you will deal with most of the problem. Ideally, I would be building an awning or hood above the doorway to prevent rain/snow from getting to the plane of the door.

Old 02-16-14, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions calvert! Guess I'll have to hunt down that contractor and get him to fix up the flashing. Good to have an idea of what the problem is before confronting him for sure.

Old 02-16-14, 06:30 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
May need to dig a little further, looks like a flat roof. Can we get some additional pictures from the topside as well? I'm curious where the railings are attached and how they addressed the added flashing on a flat roof.

Old 02-17-14, 03:18 PM
Here's a top-down view of the gutter that I found on my phone:

Name:  gutter.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  45.5 KB

At work right now so can't get any more at the moment, unfortunately...

Yes, the top of the garage is flat. Sorry, I should've mentioned that before. There is a small staircase from the house to the top of the garage, which is used as a deck. Railings are attached around the perimeter of the "deck".

Old 02-18-14, 07:02 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
My gut is telling me that the water infiltration is probably located in and around the bolt holes supporting the railing. Although the picture focuses on a rather narrow portion of the construction. I see plenty of hot/cold patching material, but see nothing around the post bases. Not that you need to smear black tar over everything, but there should be some sort of waterproofing in that area.

Old 02-18-14, 11:09 AM
I've been in this house for about a year and I think the previous owner had done a lot of patchwork caulking and repairs all over the deck, some of which is starting to come off. Do you think caulking around the bolts/rails would be sufficient?

Old 02-18-14, 12:55 PM
i'd get that strip of wood out of the doorway & make certain the slope of the entry slopes AWAY from the door,,, next i'd install the right threshold seal to the floor under the door's btm so no wtr can run inside

Old 02-18-14, 08:19 PM
Looks like a lot of water is sneaking past the end of that upper gutter, and running down the full height of the wall to the door area. The heavy stains and dark areas indicate that water has been working on the wood siding/trim there, and possibly even getting inside the wall.

Old 02-19-14, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. It definitely sounds like there might be more than one contributor to my water problems.