Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

One more person looking for flat roof repair advice ! Thanks

Old 02-17-14, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone
The roof is flat. It's the 3 foot wide asphalt rolled stuff, I think there was a kettle around when it was installed, but not sure. Anyway, have about 3 leaks, looks like about 10 - 15 percent of the roof is worn out and thin at these spots, most of the mineral on top is gone. If I blow all the dust etc off in these areas, apply an asphalt roof coating and then some mineral aggregate, ( and do a good job ) will that type repair last a few years or a few months? This roof is about 20 years old, but only gets a half day of sunshine, so it's actually in good shape for it's age. I'm in famously hot South Carolina. Many thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-14, 09:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Time for a new roof.
Going to cost you more in the long run for all the damage done below the roof.

Old 02-28-14, 05:16 PM
flat roof

It does sound like a new roof is needed. I personally wouldn't go back with asphalt and rock. I would scrape what is there and then go back with some kind of vinyl roofing such as PVC or TPO. PVC is better in my experience with it, but TPO is cheaper. Both have their good and bad, but they are a lot better choice in my opinion than asphalt and tar. They go a lot faster when installing them, and this is because they come in up to 10 foot. Plus many of them have a 20-30 year warranty. I found a site online called Plastic Roofing Sheets but you can Google vinyl, PVC, or TPO roofing and get more information. That site that I just put up there has a little bit of information that isn't exact, but I would go to different sites to compare the different types of this kind of roofing.