Roof leaks - snow prevents water getting to drain

Old 02-18-14, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof leaks - snow prevents water getting to drain

I bought a townhouse and the roof very rarely leaks into the master bedroom ceiling below it. The roof is a silver roof (not sure of the proper term) and there is a deck on the roof.

I figured out that it leaks when there is snow up there, it warms and melts in certain spots before the snow/ice melts all the way to the drain. In other words, snow/ice melts and the water can't get to the drain because there is snow/ice in its way.

I thought to put heat cables to turn on the few times a year this happens. I wondered though:

-Can I put these under the decking or will the heat damage the roof? The deck is wood set on roofing shingles where it contacts with the roof.

-If I put the cables out only for winter on top of the decking, with this even melt enough of the snow to create a path back to the drain?

-Should the roof be fixed? As I understand it, a roof is not a swimming pool and doesn't need to hold standing water which is what happens here. It also seems like it would be very hard to find the exact spots where it comes in and the deck would have to be removed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
' very rarely leaks ', huh ? most expect their roofs NEVER to leak,,, you're obviously 1 of the kindest souls in the world

exteriors are the responsibility of the hoa - doubtful you can do anything legally - we service approx 100,000 units - townhouses & condo's,,, owners ONLY own from inside wall to inside wall,,, all exterior stuff is HOA own'd.

call your property manager today !

Old 02-24-14, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Probably need to read your HOA contract to know for sure what they cover. I have painted a few town homes where the exterior maintenance was the home owner's responsibility. BUT if it is their responsibility, make them earn their monthly fee!