Water around sliding glass door in the basement

Old 02-21-14, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water around sliding glass door in the basement

Hello everyone. I'm new the forum. Have used several of the DIY's posted to caulk and seal my new home that I purchased just before the winter set in.

This morning when I went to the basement to let in the local water company technician to change the water meter, I noticed water around the base (only one side) of the sliding glass door.

I don't see water in any of the grooves that the mesh door or glass door slide.

Any help would be appreciated. Should I be looking to get a new door installed or should I be focusing on sealing around this door on the outside or could it be a bigger issue.

While I'm not super handy, there are some things my dad taught me to do - and I do a mean caulk line

Thanks again for your help.
Brenda

Name:  IMG_1179.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  36.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-14, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
You probably do not need a new door. There is probably just a slight gap or area where the caulk or sealant under the door or sill plate is allowing water to seep/wick inside. Unfortunately it looks like the leak is right at the edge of the door unit. A complex area where the door, wall and molding meet so sealing will be slightly difficult. I suspect it's probably the little area between the door assembly and wall. Try pulling back the insulation and see what that area looks like.

You may have to pull off the molding on the outside. Thoroughly clean the concrete and wall in that area and let thoroughly dry then caulk/seal and re-install the molding.

Old 02-21-14, 09:20 AM
Thanks Pilot Dane.
Seems a little more involved than I anticipated. I may have to get my dad to take a look at it.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Old 02-21-14, 09:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd guess sliding doors are installed wrong in the first place.
I'd bet it was flashed wrong to begin with.
Caulking not going to work for long term.
There also should have been at least a 2" step from any solid surface outside that door or water can get in under the threshold.
Door would have to come out to fix it right.
Exterior Door Flashing Detail - Bing Images