Planning the gutters

Old 02-23-14, 09:11 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Planning the gutters

Do I need to do three seperate downspouts or can these link up? Take a look at the pic and give me a hand pleaseName:  image.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 02-23-14, 07:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not sure which sections you mean but it's better to have separate downspouts.

Old 02-23-14, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Door and garage sections can be one L-shaped section, with a downspout, and the upper portion could certainly dump into it with an outlet and short piece of downspout but the problem would be the huge amount of water would quickly overwhelm both the gutter and the single downspout.

It would make more sense to have two downspouts. One for the upper gutter and one for the garage/entry.

Old 02-23-14, 07:21 PM
P
Ill explain can the garage, section about the door, and that coming off the main house be connected with one gutter?

Old 02-23-14, 07:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There is no way that I would try to connect those two sections.

Old 02-24-14, 04:17 AM
P
Don't really have much to spend on it, but we have bad winters here in nh so need something to stand up to that and this is basically all I need besides the front. I know of plastic and aluminum is that all out there cheap? Suggestions

Old 02-24-14, 08:02 AM
E
I would say you can do the section over the door and the garage as an L shape with one downspout. I don't even know where you'd fit a third downspout for the section over the door unless there is space for it to snake down underneath the deck, then you'd have to have a really long extension to bring it out from under the deck to where it could drain away.

Give the L shaped section a downspout at the corner of the garage and give the upper section of roof its own downspout right at that front corner. You don't want to overwhelm the other sections with all that water and cause them to overflow.

If you got snow and ice that could be heavy enough to cause gutter damage just get aluminum gutters with straps that secure over the top, and make sure the roofer or gutter guy hits puts brackets no more than 2 feet apart and hits rafter tails wherever possible. If there is ever more than a foot of snow on the roof get a roof rake and pull it off.

Not worth cheaping out. Spend money on a good install now so you don't have to do anything but clean them for the next 10 or 15 years. It is probably cheaper than you think to do this correctly with quality materials. I had a 30 foot straight section of gutter two stories up replaced with seamless aluminum painted to match my trim for 300 bucks. So yours should not be a real expensive job.

Last edited by eharri3; 02-24-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 11:17 AM
P
Was it $300 installed? If not is this seamless gutters from where?
Thanks

Old 02-24-14, 11:31 AM
E
300 out the door without downspouts. I am not in your region so prices will vary. But as the gutter guy explained to me, alot of people tend to try and nurse along failing gutter systems because they overestimate how expensive replacement will be. What may save you some money is those are short stretches and only on a low first floor roof,so accessibility shouldn't be an issue and it shouldn't require much material. Downspouts usually add a decent amount to the overall cost but it would be worth it to get the 2nd one and have piece of mind that your setup will handle a heavier rain without overflowing. With their being nothing up there to remove I don't really see more than a couple hours of work plus materials there.

The only thing worse than no gutters is failing or insufficient gutters. A failing gutter system usually multiplies the destructive power of the water by focusing it on one small area.

Old 02-24-14, 06:45 PM
P
Sounds good to me thanks for the info. I'll start looking at prices

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: