Vinyl gutters...a waste of money ?

Old 03-23-14, 07:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl gutters...a waste of money ?

I need to put up about 90' of gutters on my single story home. I was ready to head for H.D. or Lowe's, when my handyman neighbor told me that I would be wasting my money & vinyl would be nothing but trouble...warping, cracking, & leaking. As I live in South Texas, snow in no problem, but it does get hot ! I wanted to do it myself, so I thought vinyl would be the way to go. Now I did install a short vinyl gutter (20') over my entrance way about 10 years ago & it has been no trouble at all. Have I been lucky or have they cheapened the product, like everything else ? Is there a big difference in manufacturers ? Comments please...
Thanks,
Roger

Old 03-23-14, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Why do people think that vinyl is the only thing that you can DIY? Regular 5" k-style gutter can be purchased in 20' lengths. On a long run you might have one joint. You just probably need to have the long sections delivered unless you have a way to transport them without bending them. You also will need help putting them up so as not to bend them. The only advantage to vinyl is that its in small sections you could fit in a car and that one person can install them. Other than that, they are pretty crappy and hold about half the volume of water. For a small section of roof you probably have gotten away with it.

Old 03-24-14, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Lowes sells both aluminum and vinyl gutters, I assume the other big box stores are the same. I think they come in 10' lengths. I wouldn't use vinyl gutters! IMO nothing beats the full length seamless gutters but if the budget requires diy, I'd use aluminum, it also comes in 2 sizes. I didn't know you could get it in 20' sections.

Old 03-24-14, 07:32 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some much better to go with seamless gutters.
No seams to leak, look better, easier to install.

Old 03-25-14, 11:23 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys..I think I'll forget about vinyl. I am in the process of getting some estimates for continuous aluminum gutters, I know that they will be $$$$

Old 03-25-14, 01:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you can afford it, seamless is the best way to go! Joints are always the weak spot on gutters, it can't leak where there isn't a joint

Old 03-25-14, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You can sometimes get a diy price from the seamless guys if you just want them to run the lengths then put it up yourself. (With 4 of your buddies)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: