Building a ramada, with home made laminated beam

Old 03-10-14, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a ramada, with home made laminated beam

hi there all,

I am starting my first major project, I have a newly built house and the first project I have been working on since contruction was complete has been the back yard. Up tell now it has all been rather easy, we hired a crew to pour concrete andi completed the landscaping with the help of family and friends.

But now its time for some real work, I want to build a ramada/gazeboo. The concrete i had poured for this project measures 15. ft X 12.5 Ft. I also had the corners poured thicker to handle the weight when its all done, there 16in thick.

I live in phx AZ and majority of the houses out here that are newer are all stucco and clay tile roof. I plan to have my ramada be the same thing (HOA wont have it any other way).

So here is my main concern, the longest span I have is around 15 feet and it will need to hold a good amount of weight with the clay tile roof, my plan is to make a laminated wood beam using 2x10 with a piece of 1/2 OSB in between two of those, screwed and glued. Is this enough to hold up to the amount of weight that it wil have to bear? Or should I go to a larger size lumber, or even triple the 2X10 boards? Some other thread also say to nut and bolt beams, which is better and why? I looked into buying pre made laminated beams and something of about this size runs about 70.00$ a LN.FT. which with put my budget threw the roof.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-14, 08:51 AM
your local lumber yard has lvl's & truss loks - talk to them,,, drive right on by the apron/vest stores & find a REAL lumberyard maybe its just me but drawing up a budget w/o knowing what's required for materials seems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, backward ?

how much weight ?

Old 03-11-14, 10:16 AM
i dont knwo the exact weight, roughly 200 SQ. FT. of roof area using clay tiles.

i agree on the budget thing, but i cant start he project with out the budget and i cant have a budget with out knwo exactlly hwo i am going to build this