Gutter Guards

Old 03-06-01, 07:01 AM
Visiting Guest
My house is surrounded by many trees and has a very high pitched roof. We have installed a type of gutter guard over the gutters that is a hard, white solid plastic that completely covers the gutter except for a small water drainage hole. This works to keep out leaves, nuts, etc., even though rain overflows during heavy downpours. These were quite expensive compared to the screen type gutter guards. The problem is keeping them on the gutters. Over half of them have blown off, even though we lifted up the shingles and hammered the gutter guards up under the shingles. They appeared to be secure. We would like to nail or screw the gutter guards onto the plywood under the shingles to keep them on the gutters. Are we risking making the roof leak by nailing or screwing them into the roof? Should tar or caulk be used over each nail or screw? Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-14-01, 09:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
causing leaks

My take on it would be to use deck screws and cover each with heavy bodied roof patching compound. That is, if you can lift the shingles enough. And/or a long strip of aluminum tucked over them, if you can secure it.

I recently put an eye bolt (screw} in the middle of a roof to secure a guy wire. A roofer instructed me to drill and install it, then remove it and add patching compound (or any good sealant). Be careful on that ladder!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: