underdeck roofing...

Old 03-26-14, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
underdeck roofing...

I have a deck on my second story that has a porch underneath. The old homeowner put up a "roof," basically corregated plastic roofing. It keeps most of the porch below dry, except where the roof literally runs up to the edge of the outside beams.

I've looked at "underdeck" roofing systems, even the cheapest is over $1,000. My deck is 11x16. So here's my plan: Pull down the old roofing. It has not crack or leaks so I plan on reusing it. Once its down I want to make a proper slope along the joists and put the roofing back up and have it run into a gutter and to a downspout and into the yard. Basically a DIY underdeck system.

Has anyone ever done this before? It seems like a decently simple weekend or two DIY project. I was going to us vinyl gutter because 1. the run isn't long and 2. it is all in 100% shade and 3. since it will be attached under the deck snow build up shouldn't be much of an issue...thanks for you advice/opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-14, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds ok but I would not be using vinyl gutters.
They tend to leak at the seams, have to have a bunch of ugly brackets to keep them from sagging.
Best way would be seamless gutter with hidden gutter hangers.

Old 03-26-14, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thanks for the advice I'll look into that! I forgot to mention on thing, previous owner also caulked the "roof" to the two sides where it hits the house. How should i reattach? Just re-caulk it or run gutters along all 4 sides?

Thanks!