Help Identifying Shingle?

Old 04-06-14, 06:49 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying Shingle?

Our 2 year old roof had some shingles rip up, and we used the spares we had to replace them. I am trying to see what brand and model the shingles are so I can buy more.

The back of the shingle doesn't have a brand,etc. Here is some pictures of what is labeled on it. Can someone help identify it for me?

Thanks in Advance!

They are architectural shingles. Also, it says Miami Dade approved, does this mean they are high wind shingles? Wondering why they tore in 40 mph gust rain storm?

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-14, 08:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Flip them over and take another picture so we can see the whole shingle.
Best way would be to take that sample with you and go to a real shingle supply house like ABC supply to match them up.

Old 04-07-14, 07:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
Miami Dade approved just means they meet their minimum specification. How they hold up against wind depends largely on their condition and installation. If they are not properly nailed and the adhesive strip did not bond then they can be ripped of by wind pretty easily.

Old 04-07-14, 07:38 AM
I
Here is a picture of the other side.

I guess now I am concerned of the quality of the roof. For the shingles to rip in a rain with maybe 40mph wind is crazy...

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-14, 07:57 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lots of things could have caused it to rip off.
Nailing pattern, not enough nails or there in the wrong place.
Going over the old shingles instead of removing the old ones first.
Nail gun set wrong and the nails blew through the shingle.
I'm seeing a row of what looks like holes at the top of the shingle, that's not where it was nailed is it? The nails where suppose to be just above that painted exposure line.
Check some of the other shingles, in two years the shingles should be stuck together enough you would need a flat bar to lift them.

Old 04-07-14, 08:02 AM
I
This was a roof installed on top of the wood, no shingles under it. Yes there is nail holes above the exposure line. I will have to ask the guy who repaired it for me if the shingles were "stuck" together. Just odd. Wish I could know what brand they were.

Old 04-07-14, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Kind of looks like Tamko Heritage IR Weathered Wood to me. You'd have to compare them side by side with a sample board, though.

Old 04-07-14, 11:54 AM
I
I took a shot in the dark and sent the Information off the back of it to IKO and customer service said:

From what I can find that is a Cambridge shingle, it should be easy to match.

So it sounds like it is a IKO shingle. Now I wonder what the quality is.....

Old 04-08-14, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do a google search on IKO shingles. You will find that they are at the bottom end of quality and performance, have been involved with class-action lawsuits, and many roofers refuse to use them. You would do well to go with a better brand-name of shingle the next time you do a new roof. In the mean time, plan on lots of blow-offs and repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: