Replace 3 season room roof in Northeast US

Old 04-13-14, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace 3 season room roof in Northeast US

Hello!

We have a 3 season room that began leaking a couple of years ago. We patched it when we first noticed it and it stopped leaking. This winter has been fairly brutal and the leaks have worsened. We are thinking we need to replace the roof . However, we do not have any experience with roofing. We have done some research and we still have some concerns and questions (pictures attached):

1) Should we replace some (or all?) of the insulation?
2) We don't know how much of the sheathing needs to be replaced. We are assuming at least some will need to be. We also don't know if any of the beams need to be replaced. Should we remove the insulation first to determine this as opposed to removing the shingle/roof cover and inspecting from the top down?
3) Is this job too much to take on? Our concerns are cost and time. We feel like we have the will to take this on but we also feel somewhat naive at this point.
4) What is the best covering to use? We are in the Northeast (phila burbs)... average of ~20 inches of snowfall per year. The roof has a slight pitch.

Thanks for reading!
J

Attached Images       

Last edited by jfscratch; 04-13-14 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You really won't know until you tear into it just what needs replacing. IMO the insulation is ok as long as it's dry and not molding although some prefer to replace any insulation that has gotten wet to play it safe.

It's difficult to make an almost flat roof leak free. I prefer diy whenever possible but I think the new roof covering would be better done professionally, probably a torch down roof ... but I'm a painter, not a roofer. I'd probably do all the tear out and replacement and then get a pro to install the roof covering.