raising ceiling

Old 04-18-14, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
raising ceiling

(if I am in the wrong forum, please re-direct me; not sure where this should go)
I recently bought a 40+ year old house on pier and beam foundation; a little less than 1000 sq ft. Living room is maybe 15x16. The house originally had a tar and gravel flat roof (have no idea why). Looks like maybe 10 years ago a truss roof was added over the top of the tar & gravel. (I have no idea why; to save the cost of taking off the tar and gravel, I guess). Problem is that the ceiling in the room is just about 7'; maybe an inch or two less. Adding to the problem is the fact that the truss roof is shallow pitch -- so there is very little room between the top of the T&G roof and the truss roof. AND, adding further, the last owner installed a central HVAC system and put the unit in the "attic", if it can be called that. It's fairly new so I hope it won't need servicing for awhile. At the very least, I would like to be able to come out about 18-24 inches from each wall and cut out the T&G roof so I can recess the cut out area without disturbing the walls or the trusses (looks like the cross truss pieces are 2x8; not sure what you all the cross board at the bottom of a truss). Although it would take a lot of work to cut through the T&G, I don't think it's un-doable...just a very tough, long, dirty job. And I realize that the HVAC unit would have to be moved -- which might run a good amount of money. -- The IDEAL situation would be to rip off the truss roof and the T&G, raise the walls a couple of feet (I've read that just adding 2x4 framed 'boxes' on top of the current walls could lead to those pieces 'hinging'/pushing out because of the lateral stress -- so exterior Hardy board would have to be replaced with something strong enough (plywood?) to hold the 2 pieces together. Same might have to be done on the inside walls. I don't think this complete raising is practical even if my sons and I can do most of the work. It's a fairly cheap house which will never be worth much more than what it is now no makes so sense to sink a lot of money in it. TO the question (and thanks for reading if you've gotten this far): If I were to attempt to recess a portion of the ceiling as I mentioned, are there any concerns other than those I've mentioned? Thanks for your time and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-14, 05:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You definitely need an architect to draw plans for that not to mention that you might have to file those plans' with the building department. No one likes to hear that but the last thing that you want is to start the work & have some passing inspector put the breaks on the job, after you have started.