Weird corner piece on roof of my house

Old 04-22-14, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird corner piece on roof of my house

Haha I don't even know what to call it or how to fix it. The photo shows the rear left corner of my house along the eves at the bottom you can see clusters of spray foam I put in because there were huge holes and gaps there. Theres that angled piece of wood there and the right side is similar as well, with loose pieces of wood just kinda hanging there with a bunch of foam I sprayed in to keep pests out. I'm planning on re-doing the eves of my house with all new fascia and soffits and I'm just wondering how do I go about fixing that?
Name:  rightCorner.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  35.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-14, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 203 Posts
That piece is not SOP. (standard operating procedure)

It was probably only added because all the wood above it is rotted out, and it was the last guy's solution to keep birds out, or maybe a roofers half-baked way of sealing up the edge of his shingles. I would eliminate it, if possible, and repair the soffit as it originally was.

Old 04-22-14, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's what I want to do now how do I go about doing that? I'd rip it off and would be left with a big odd shaped hole. Don't wanna have to resort to more spray foam!

Old 04-22-14, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The soffit should extend all the way to the roof, one or both have rotted to form the gap. I'd rip out that piece of wood along with the spray foam so you can see what needs to be done to fix it right.