Help repairing rotten roof truss

Old 04-23-14, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help repairing rotten roof truss

Greetings!

I am in the middle of repairing the roof on my garage and came across a new challenge. A few of the the ends of the trusses, where it comes down into the soffit, are mostly rotted away. Because of this, I have nothing to nail the new sheathing to. Is there a way to cut off and graft new wood to the truss, or does the entire board need to be replaced?

The roof is old, so the sheathing is made up of 1x6's. About 5 from the soffit on up need to be replaced. That is about as much of the truss wood needs to be replaced.

Thanks for any help you can provide!\

Regards,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
If it's just the ends over the soffit you can scab on to the side of the top member. You need to go far enough up to have good wood to secure your sistered piece. Cut off the tail end to match the angle for your fascia. A nail gun or cordless screw driver helps a lot as it's really difficult to nail in that confined space and sticking your arm in and pulling the trigger is generally more doable.

Old 04-23-14, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
What you are calling a "truss" is probably just a rafter, given the age of the garage roof. Trusses are engineered as a unit (usually resembling a triangle with lots of zig-zag bracing) and have steel mending plates.