Using sheet aluminum for shed roof?

Old 04-24-14, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using sheet aluminum for shed roof?

Building a shed, topped by a gambrel roof of approximately 21' in circumference.

I'm thinking about buying flat/rolled sheet aluminum, and perhaps forming my own ridges/channels to address the seams, but largely leaving the metal with a smooth surface. Off the gambrel arc would be eaves with a very slight incline, extending 3' off each side.

To do this with a single piece of metal, from the edge of one eve to the other, would be nice, greatly reducing the possibility of leaking, save from the nail/screw holes and the overlap joint (one sheet to the next, down the length of the shed). It would mean working with sheets 27' in length, but I don't see that as insurmountable.

I've considerable experience in blacksmithing, grew up repairing & building barns, as well as doing much restoration and specialty building, so I'm not coming in entirely green.

Wanted to ask for the forum's thoughts, ideas, experiences.

Thanks much ,

Ray~

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ray!

IMO it would be better to go with a regular steel roof [any style] than have to make expensive aluminum work ..... but I'm a painter, not a roofer - some of the others should chime in later

Old 04-25-14, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Marksr. Single uncrimped sheets will wrinkle so badly it will look pathetic. I would opt for heavier gauge crimped steel roofing, or standing seam. Of course pictures of the project may help us understand what you are facing. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-25-14, 05:56 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Roof

a gambrel roof of approximately 21' in circumference.
Can you post a photo of this, please?

Never mind, I get it now.
How will you brake 21 ft. long aluminum?

Old 04-25-14, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will not use a break. The forming would be done by hand, on a wooden swage. This may seem like a great deal of work, to some, but I'm not opposed to it, and know what's involved.

My issue with steel roofing it, simply, that it's steel, with the built-in ability to rust. Yes, the risk of such is perhaps minimal, in my lifetime, if properly installed, but I much prefer the lighter weight, and non-destructive oxidation of aluminum, especially IF it can be had less expensively.

I'm exploring the idea, also, as I dislike the idea of paying a $6:cut fee from the roofing supplier, which strikes me as inflated nickle & dimeing. If I don't get it cut by them, I get charged a "non-standard length" delivery fee, for many of the pieces I would cut myself (am in somewhat rural, Northern California, and there are few alternatives/competitors in my area.)

A non-typical/standard roofing job, certainly, but that makes it all the more interesting, at least to me.

Thanks,

Ray~

(Quick sketch that I hope explains what I'm meaning to do.)

Attached Images  
Old 04-26-14, 01:21 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Roof

Let us know how it goes with the seams on the curved roof.