Last course at ridge

Old 04-30-14, 08:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Last course at ridge

Almost there. I'm at the ridge and my currently highest row has the nail strip about 8" below the ridge. This means that (a) another row of shingles would have the nail strip right over the ventilation slot at the peak, and (b) an 11" ridge cap like Owens Corning VentSure Rigid Roll won't cover the nails in the row that I 'm on now.

So I guess I need another row, but I'm not sure whether I should (a) trim the last row shingles at the bottom lengthwise so the nail strip falls just below the the ventilation slot or (b) the other option I can think of is to install with the bottom aligned as usual and let the top flop over the ridge, then trim the top at the vent slot after they are nailed - but this would mean nailing below the nailing strip (somewhere within the area that will be covered by the ridge cap and ridge shingles).

Found a web page that suggests installing the top row lower so there is a smaller exposure for the second-last row from the top. Seems like this would look weird?

Is one of these right or is there a standard way of making this work out that looks decent?

Shingles are OC Duration laminated with 5-5/8" exposure.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 311 Posts
install with the bottom aligned as usual and let the top flop over the ridge, then trim the top at the vent slot after they are nailed - but this would mean nailing below the nailing strip (somewhere within the area that will be covered by the ridge cap and ridge shingles).
That is the way you should do it.

Old 05-01-14, 05:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for fast response!