Step flashing again

Old 05-01-14, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Step flashing again

I know I've asked this before, but I wanted to confirm that on step flashing at a roof-wall intersection, there does not need to be roofing cement or sealant between, in, on, or over the flashing pieces, or between the shingles and the flashing. Correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-14, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
If you go to Google and type in: "step flashing suobs" you will find probably at least ten places where you have asked this exact same question multiple times. I would think that at least one of them would have given you a satisfactory answer.

No sealant. You put down a couple pieces step flashing so that they overlap on top of the shingles below. Then you put a shingle down on top of them, so as to cover them up. Then from that point on, you put the step flashing on top of the shingle where it will always be covered up by the next shingle. In the end, you will have a series of overlapping 5x7 step shingles every 5". (if you can find the bigger metric step shingles in your area, use those... they lap about every 6 3/8" which is roughly what the exposure is on a metric shingle roof).

The only place you would want sealant is where your flashing might have the potential to leak. At a bottom outside corner, for instance... or at the peak of a roof where the ridge runs into the step flashing.

Old 05-03-14, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the forensic analysis, but no - there have been lots of questions about flashing but not the same question. You did answer this specific question clearly on 01-25-14 at 11:56 AM (as I said in that thread) but as I also said in this thread I am confirming to be sure. It seems counter intuitive to me and in this case there are no additional installation complications because I'm able to start from scratch with the siding and shingles off. Something about installing 4x8 sheets of plywood siding makes me want to be sure I won't have to take them off again for a decade or so!

Thanks, I respect your advice - just double-checking and looking for second opinions.

Old 05-03-14, 08:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There should not be bare plywood or OSB under the siding.
It needs to be house wrapped first, the house wrap goes of the top of the step flashing.

Old 05-04-14, 03:36 AM
There should not be bare plywood or OSB under the siding.
It needs to be house wrapped first, the house wrap goes of the top of the step flashing.
I realize about the housewrap, thanks!