Possible New Home need some Help

Old 05-04-14, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible New Home need some Help

Hello All i am new to this forum. My name is Justin. I spend quite a bit of time on forums as i do a lot of computer/car work and try to answer questions for those who do not know. Well i know nothing of home improvement so here i am haha.

My wife and i are going to look at a mobile home. We will e buying it for quite cheap but the catch is, it has some roof damage. I have only looked at it once, but it looks like where the swamp cooler was on the roof is caving in. We will be going back on Tuesday for a longer visit and i will have time to take pics. Im just wondering what i need to look for. Just want to make sure we are not getting our self's in to deep as we are not rich hehe.

Thanks for you time.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-14, 07:43 AM
Received 91 Votes on 83 Posts
Your best bet is to find a friend who knows something about mobile homes. Even if you need to pay him. Asking us on the forum is fine but it won't find pronblems that you can't see yourself. It's not unlike a home inspector. Think about what you're spending. Will another ~$200 to $400 make a difference if you know what you're getting and what problems you can expect?

If you can't find a friend then go to a competing dealer and talk to one of the technicians or mechanics and ask if he will come with you on his own time as an independent adviser for a fee of say $200 to inspect the home for any major problems.

Old 05-05-14, 09:24 AM
I wish I could give you advice on your specific question, but I don't know anything about mobile homes.

I have quite a bit of knowledge about searching for the "perfect" home for me though and with a little bit of luck, a TON of hard work, and a few crazy stunts I've pulled off, I feel that overall "right here" is not a bad place to be at all. It's not perfect..... but nothing is, right?

I'd imagine that you and your wife have been shopping around a bit and that the price is low enough to justify you considering this unit even with the roof problem. I think you're doing the right thing now by investigating the issue and coming to the kind hearted pros that help blokes like us for free in their own free time here.

Here's the only advice I can give you man.....

Don't rush into anything. The more time and effort you put into due diligence now will be time you wish you had spent when you suddenly find yourself owning a piece of trash that would cost more to fix than it's worth. On top of that, if your time spent researching means somebody swoops in and steals it from under you, don't beat yourself up over it. You found this place, and you will find another one in the future. If this mobile home TRULY is such a steal at the asking price, chances are at least 50/50 that the people who stole it from you did you a huge favor and now they're being beat down by the buyer's remorse you and your wife would be feeling had you done an impulse buy.

Short of that, take some pics and if you don't have a really good camera see if you can borrow one from a friend before you go. Just as Norm mentioned, people here will help you out as much as they can, but since they're not inspecting the unit themselves they could never offer any guarantees.

Also Norm's advice about paying for an inspection is sound for 95% of the people out there considering that half the people I know use butter knives as screwdrivers. Even if you are pretty handy, you may regret not paying for an inspection.

I HATE throwing away money like that too, so I understand where you're coming from. Chances are the cost of an inspection compared to the asking price for the Unit you're looking at would be a MUCH larger % of what you'd buy it for than a house, so there's that to consider too. I definately wouldn't even consider paying somebody to inspect it until you've posted your pics here and gotten advice from people who know more about these things than we do.

I wish you luck, brother. Home ownership is an awesome thing in my book. I'll sure be envious of your Power bills come next winter.

Old 05-10-14, 10:05 AM
Hope it's going well for ya man. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-10-14, 09:57 PM
Take Norm's advice. Get a pro to inspect it for you. Don't risk a nightmare!

Old 05-11-14, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I wonder if he's changed his mind or just hasn't had time to post back. Unless you are handy enough to do the repairs I'd be leery of the roof damage. MH trusses are kind of wimpy and it sure sounds like there are structural issues. Not sure if there is a good way to tell how much work it would take without getting a visual on roof/ceiling.

btw - welcome to the forums Justin!