want to install drainage outside - bad flood downstairs

Old 05-06-14, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
want to install drainage outside - bad flood downstairs

We recently got a record rainstorm in CT. Month of Rain in one night.
We just had the siding done and the gutter guy was coming basically the next day and it was that instant the rain came and ruined all the floors in our lower level.
Gutters are back up now, we just have AWFUL luck I guess. Still I cant beleive just gutters caused this and would like to install some perimeter drainage.

All of our neighbors said they have been flooded a couple times in the past and had to do it and since then theyve had no issues.

I decided to dig up the area where we beleive most of the issue was (front of house) and the footing on the left is about 1 to 1.5' under the dirt. There appears to be no curtain drain either.

It was a bit lower than expected and I had to back off for now because there woudl literally be NO WHERE to pitch it to.

I placed some pics of the yard. 3/4 of our house to yard contact is paved in some fashion. We dont beleive it was coming from these areas as I patched them from inside when I gutted and rebuilt. We had 2 hurricanes during the build time and got no water. I do have to repatch one area on the left but again its also paved so I cant see that letting all this water in.

Anyone with experience have any tips or suggestions here? I would prefer to NOT bust through the foundation and install an out to in sump system. I dont think we need an exterior pump either as again we NEVER had water prior.

I dont anticipate with the gutters back up this will happen but just in case I want to be saf"er"

thanks

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 04:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Since you have the footing exposed, cover the foundation with a membrane & throw some gravel in the hole before you back fill. You shouldn't need a drain.

Old 05-07-14, 05:15 AM
do you think a membrane is enough? I was going to drop some sort of plastic or membrane in there but was afraid water would just get around it from the sides.
thanks

Old 05-07-14, 05:57 AM
Temporarily Suspended
An adhesive is applied to the wall before the membrane. Then a roofing cement is applied around the edges of the membrane. The membrane should be draped over the footing & gravel thrown on top of it. You can still install a drain. All of it will work as long as it's not a high water table problem. It's ok to install the membrane without the drain but I wouldn't install the drain without the membrane. Installing both certainly can't hurt.

Old 05-07-14, 06:53 AM
awesome
can the membrane be purchased at a big box store or have to be gotten at a supply house?

THANKS

Old 05-07-14, 05:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
My boss, at the time bought it from a supply house. It still could be sold at a big box store. You'll have to ask.

Old 05-08-14, 05:48 AM
we haven't found roofing cement to be acceptable in the long run,,, i would recommend hydrolastic or hlm5000 as good,,, plastic sheeting is a no-no - IF you must buy from the apron/vest stores, use 19mm pond liner - you can't tear it during backfilling

when 1 allows water to settle beside a foundation drain, you've created a drywell - not good - the collected water needs to be evacuated either by a gravity drain OR a pump

Old 05-08-14, 06:03 AM
Problem is my yard is not pitched enough to drain the water away anywhere. any ideas?

I cant even dig low enough to pitch because I would end up under the street/curb by the time i hit the front.

If I install the membrane can the drainage be installed above the footing? will the rest just drain into the dirt?

thanks

Old 05-08-14, 06:12 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What about raising the section closest to the house, with top soil? You don't have to raise it a lot. Just don't let the dirt get behind the membrane.

Old 05-08-14, 08:12 AM
well our overhangs are like 3 feet out on the roof.
Even if I raise the section of dirt near the house I would still need to place drainage lower than the footing. I was thinking of trying to just trench into the yard forward and creat a small leeching feild but that may cause more issues than solve.
The other option is going to the side and behind the house and trenching REALLY low into the ground as far back as possible.
My fear there though is that is all swamp wetland and in a bad storm I may have just created a tunnel for water to come up in should back there flood out.

Very tough spot.
Ive thought about calling some guys out to give quotes and pick their brains. Hate doing that to guys but smetimes its the best way.

Old 05-08-14, 01:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would start with the membrane & see what happens. That much needs to be done anyway.

Old 05-09-14, 01:36 PM
thanks man. I will try to get on that. First Id like to get those stairs out of there to do it all in one sheet.

Old 05-11-14, 04:22 AM
rereading this thread, i withdraw - we do this work for a living

Old 05-12-14, 06:21 AM
rereading this thread, i withdraw - we do this work for a living

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ro...#ixzz31VGYC1rS
Im lost? Do you have some tips? Is it a bad idea to at least wrap the foundation?