Rust-prevention

Old 04-21-14, 08:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rust-prevention

Hey all,

I built an outdoor kitchen out of 25guage steel studs from Lowes and have 2 questions...
1) Is there anything I can do to rust-proof the structure?
2) How do I secure it to the floor? I was planning on screwing it directly to backerboard but ive heard people say that you should leave a gap between the floor and the frame. Is this true?

Any advice?

Old 04-22-14, 03:33 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Got a picture?
Why steel studs?
Where's the bottom plate the studs should be sitting on and giving you a place to screw it to the decking.
If your setting this on a pressure treated deck your going to have to use some sill seal so the steels not making direct contact with the wood.

Old 04-22-14, 05:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
1. Steel studs only have a very thin galvanizing coating to protect them during shipping and for interior, protected locations. You can try painting the frame with oil based rust preventing primer but it will not be perfect. Every screw hole breaks the protective barrier and exposes bare steel.

2. I don't understand your description of what you plan. Normally you would construct the frame. Attach it to your patio and then screw your backerboard to the outside and finish off to make it pretty. Spacing the bottom steel framing off the patio will help prevent rust by allowing the water between the frame and patio to dry out (hopefully). The bigger the gap the easier it is to dry out and leaving the backer board up from the ground to let air underneath will also help but it also creates an opening for critters and a perfect spot to collect debris. It's not a great construction method but is a favorite on TV shows because it's quick and easy.

Old 05-07-14, 05:25 PM
D
Sorry i was away on vacation,

I used steel studs because wood would rot and could not take the heat from the bbq that is going to be mounted in it.

Pilot Dane,

Im doing it in the way you listed... I have only built the frame so far. I want to rust proof it before I secure it onto the deck and install backerboard as it will be easier to do it while it is still in my garage.

Old 05-08-14, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Most rust inhibitive primers/paints don't adhere well to unweathered galvanized steel. If the steel is enclosed with cement board/tile isn't it already protected from the elements?

Old 05-08-14, 08:08 AM
D
Theoretically yes it is protected from the elements, but in the area where the barbecue sits, there will be some leakage into the island... i might try to do some type of skirting around it to channel the water away instead of into it. Just being outside it will be exposed to moisture from the air so id just like to take extra precautions...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: