New Home Owner..help please!

Old 05-08-14, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Home Owner..help please!

My wife and I recently purchased a home and the front gutter was ruining the flower bed so I put an extension on it and buried it and brought it to the side of the house but now I am lost with how to properly drain it and keep it from pooling up. It is about 80 yards to the woods behind my house so I'd really prefer to not dig a trench the whole way back there. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 06:35 PM
Here is a picture of what I'm needing help with.

Attached Images  
Old 05-08-14, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What type grading do you have on the land. Does it naturally hold water? The picture you posted shows a puddle of water. A wider view of the situation may help us give better advice.

Old 05-09-14, 06:24 AM
I can kind of see what is going on there. Looks like you terminated it at ground soft ground or terrain that doesn't slope away from the house. If you don't want to bury it, you'll have to extend it until the ground slopes away from the home. If the soil is soft, re-grade it and compact it.

Last edited by eharri3; 05-09-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
Not to mention you dug a hole where the pipe discharges, purposefully creating a catch area for water. It's not rocket science. Water flows downhill. Any way you can get the ground or pipe sloping downhill will make the water move in that direction. You can extend your trench further and you may get to a point where you can feather it out so the water spreads out harmlessly on the lawn. I'd shoot for at least 10' away from the house with the water heading away from the house as you don't want it seeping back in to your basement or crawlspace.

If you bite the bullet and decide to trench all the way to the woods I would use thin wall PVC pipe, not corrugated black plastic. It is rigid so it's less prone to get low spots that will collect debris and it's interior is smooth so it is less likely to catch debris. And, because of the length to the forest I would install a clean out at the house and possibly one in the center of the run in case it does clog and you need to clean it out.