Seeking Short Downspout Extenders

Old 05-12-14, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seeking Short Downspout Extenders

My home has 6 rectangular downspouts,which empty into underground plastic pipes that take the water out to the street. Beneath each downspout is a plastic adapter that is attached to the top of the underground pipe. The metal downspout slips very loosely into a rectangular slot in the adapter. As the ground settles around the house, the downspout eventually slips out of the adapter and starts spilling water around the base of the house. I can extend the downspout a bit by unscrewing sections and "telescoping" them a little bit. But this creates more holes and mismatched paint. It would be easier to simply clamp on a short flexible extender that could be fed down into the adapter. It would provide the needed extra length, plus make it easier to align the downspout and the adapter. However, all I can find are very long extensions that are designed to unroll for several feet and send the water out onto the lawn. Is there anywhere I can purchase short flexible clamp-on extenders for the purpose I have described?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-14, 05:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Old 05-13-14, 05:53 AM
Thanks, Pulpo, for so kindly responding. The link you provided did not feature exactly what I was looking for; it featured mainly adapters, which route a rectangular spout into a circular pipe. I'm looking for a short rectangle-to-rectangle extension. However, your link did give me some new keywords to expand my search.

So far, the closest thing I've found is this:
Flex-A-Spout/Rain Drains - Flex-A-Elbow - Gutter Supply

But even this simple extender is overkill for my needs . It is too long. My downspouts are just a few inches too short. I'll do some more research and see if I can find something more compact, or something that can be cut to size.

Thanks very much for the clue!

Old 05-13-14, 05:58 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
Cut them to length. Most are vinyl.

Old 05-13-14, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
You can either get new downspouts that are cut the right length to go inro your adapter farther. or you can buy a downspout crimper and make your own "extensions" that are cut from a piece of downspout.

Old 05-13-14, 11:52 AM
Norm201 suggested: "Cut them to length. Most are vinyl. "
Thanks, Norm. If I can find ones that have the right shape along the length, I could do that. So far, all the extensions I've found have the right shape only on the ends. But I'm still looking. I've been hoping to find what you are suggesting.

XSleeper suggested making my own extensions from extra downspout. That seems like a good idea, too. And it might just work for most of my downspouts. A couple of them are a bit offset, though, so a flexible piece might be nice. I've seen some slightly s-shaped metal extenders. Maybe I could just cut those down.

I still hope to find something flexible that will drop down well into the adapter, so that it will keep functioning as the earth settles (so I don't have to keep adjusting).

Thanks much to all who have chipped in ideas. They are all useful to me, and it makes me feel good to know more helpful people!