Roof shingles stained on the north side

Old 05-16-14, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof shingles stained on the north side

I have a rather large roof on my home, the shingles are 14 years old and stained on the north facing side. I am looking for the best way to clean up the appearance without damaging the shingles.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 02:55 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
What kind of shingles, cedar, other wood, asphalt composition? Do you have any trees near the house? Can you post a few well lit and in focus pictures?

Old 05-17-14, 05:59 AM
No real trees causing the issue, this is what it looks like

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-14, 09:42 PM
Those appear to be asphalt composition but I cannot tell for certain from that picture. General staining on a north facing roof often is mold or mildew but you have streaks. Unless it is caused by metal vent pipes I don't know what might be causing this. AS for cleaning...asphalt shingles are much more prone to damage from improper pressure washing than are just about any other type of roof. Although this is a DIY site I suggest a competent roof cleaning company that uses a low pressure system for cleaning asphalt shingles. Be sure they are bonded and insured and that the workers use the proper fall protection equipment.

Old 05-18-14, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Back in the early 70's I let a real estate flipper talk me into PWing the roof on a house he was selling While the roof did look better from the street, it drastically shortened the life of the shingles! I've never PW a shingle roof since. You don't want to do any kind of scrubbing on it either. I don't know how effective spraying on a cleaner and then rinsing with a water hose would be but that is as aggressive as I'd get.

Old 05-18-14, 05:48 AM
They are asphalt architectural shingles with no metal above the stained areas. Someone mentioned clorox/water combo then rinse off.

Old 05-18-14, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Bleach is effective at removing mildew so it might be worth a try. I think I'd add some detergent with the hopes that it would slow down the movement of the bleach water - rinse before the cleaner dries.

Old 05-18-14, 07:48 PM
In my area, where moss, mildew or mold is common, the roof cleaning companies are well aware of how to clean an asphalt composition roof, at least the legitimate companies are so aware. Just be sure to get references and follow up on those references before signing any contract. I personally would stay away from any company that has not been in business for at least five years AND has a long list of satisfied and repeat customers.